Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   gah! so indecisive (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/gah-so-indecisive-10416/)

rocksout4cheese 12-30-2007 09:47 AM

gah! so indecisive

so i'm working on stocking my 55 gallon tank. so far i have 2 angelfish, 7 albino tiger barbs, a skunk botia loach, and a pleco.
i just added one of the angelfish and the skunk botia loach yesterday. along with those i decided i'd pick up some platies to put in the tank. but, stupid me, the barbs did not like the platies and i think it is because they are close in color and size at the moment.
so what would be a good addition to my 55 gal, that would not cause many problems with the current inhabitants? i would really like to get some color in there, the albino barbs are just kind of orange-ish... i thought about getting cherry barbs but it seems my lfs's never have enough of them in stock, if they ever have them. my tank just looks pretty boring at the moment.
any ideas?
oh yeah, i already moved the platies to my empty 10 gal tank.

Holly 12-30-2007 11:32 AM

The barbs are huge fin nippers for slower fish. I found an awesome web site last night that give pics, ideas and also a community chart that lets you know who will be happy with who. It's a very cool web site and really helped me allot. http://elmersaquarium.com/h701elmers...r_handbook.htm

tophat665 12-30-2007 03:25 PM

Read up on skunk botias. Your tiger barbs are going to be the least of your problems. when it comes to fin nipping.

rocksout4cheese 12-30-2007 03:35 PM

i know skunk botias can be aggressive, the local fish guy is supposed to be getting some more in next month so i will build it up to a small group, maybe five of them. i have had no problems with my tiger barbs at all, they're only concerned with themselves. if i were to get even one more angelfish i would throw in a few more barbs so they would be sure to keep busy amongst themselves. i planned to have a group of nine barbs anyway. but other than that i'm not sure what to add. will i be pretty well stocked when i add the extra skunk botias?

tophat665 12-30-2007 03:46 PM

Loaches.com has Skunk Botias listed as "Not Suitable for community aquaria."

Check out Lupin's thread on Skunks.

rocksout4cheese 12-30-2007 03:50 PM

ok nevermind lol i thought about it for like five minutes and i've put way too much money into this tank to put it in any kind of potential threat like that, and besides i love my current fish. SO mr. skunk loach will be going back to where he came from tomorrow! that was probably a really dumb idea i don't know what the heck i was thinking.
now, with that loach problem out of the way, ideas on what else i could house in my tank?

tophat665 12-30-2007 04:07 PM

If you can lay hands on Striped Loaches, they're wonderful. Same size as Skunks, but longer bodied. Same sort of playful behavior without the inclination to mayhem. Get at least 3, preferably 5 for wonderful displays of loach ballet.

That pleco - if it's a common, it will outgrow the tank sooner or later. Make sure you can re-house or give away when it gets up around 8" (they'll get over 18" eventually). I don't know why the chain stores sell those (and chocolates and sailfins - they all get too big for an average tank).

As for adding color, maybe some regular or green tiger barbs would do it. A school of Danio roseus (rose or purple danio) might be a good addition. They top out around the same size as the barbs, but are probably fast enough to stay out of the way.

Cherry barbs are cool because they don't need to be in a school to thrive. Get one male and a couple of females, and you'll be fine.

crazy4fish 01-01-2008 08:13 PM

i agree about the cherry barbs. i have some and they are great. definatly think about getting them. rainbow fish would also be nice. striped loaches are also nice. i think you should think about some rams, pearl or blue or dwarf gourami, emperor tetras, and red tailed sharks would liven up the tank but im not sure how they would do with the other fish. some skunk loaches would look nice and maybe some rasboras.