Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Single Bolivian Ram-should I get male or female? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/single-bolivian-ram-should-i-get-104026/)

RackinRocky 06-11-2012 05:59 PM

Single Bolivian Ram-should I get male or female?

I have a community 55 gallon, and am getting a Bolivian Ram in about 10 days. The tank is cycled, Ammonia is 0, Nitrites 0 and Nitrates 5. I have five caves and a very thick fake plant, a Tropica Sword, java fern, and am waiting on an Amazon Sword and some java moss and Frogbit.

I have two questions actually. Do Bolivians have to have a rock to be happy? I don't know if the one I have is safe for a fish tank. It was used for reptiles when I kept them, years ago. Its about 8" long and 5" wide. I also have some branches, but don't know if they are safe either. They are very smooth, and I have no idea what type of tree they came from. Would spraying them with vinegar tell me if they're safe? I've heard that if it fizzes, its not safe.

My second question is, I am only getting one Ram, so considering my other fish, (female bettas, platies, mollies, cories), would a male or female be better? Or would it not make a difference? I've read about females chasing other fish lately online, so was wondering if maybe a male would be better. All the fish in my tank presently (except a cory) are females. Everyone gets along wonderfully, and I'd like to keep it that way!

lorax84 06-12-2012 04:31 PM

I personally would not add any cichlids to your tank. There is a good chance that even if they are female they may be aggressive towards your bettas.

RackinRocky 06-14-2012 10:58 PM

Well, that's a real bummer. I thought Bolivians were good community fish? But I guess that doesn't include bettas. Anyone else have luck with Bolivians and female bettas?

Byron 06-16-2012 05:19 PM

It isn't the Bolivian Ram that is the problem, it's the Betta.

Mikrogeophagus altispinosus is indeed a good community cichlid, perhaps the only one that really is. I have had them previously, and currently the male in my 115g is nearly four years old which is closing in on his maximum lifespan. He rules the tank, no doubt about that, but in a gentle manner.:-) Fish in a community tank often have something of a minor pecking order between species, which is usually only noticeable at feeding time. Some of the fish will push others out of the way, and some other fish will push them out of the way--but no one pushes the Ram anywhere. He is clearly the "king of the hill."

Betta can vary from fish to fish, but the inbred instinct is there. I agree with lorax.

RackinRocky 06-17-2012 03:55 PM

I just got as Bolivian day before yesterday. Well, then as he gets older, I'll be watching the bettas very closely. If there are any problems, he will be put into a 10 gallon by himself. I know he's young now (2 inches long) and I'm worried about what will happen when he gets mature. I know that problems can arise when fish reach sexual maturity. Luckily, I have a back-up plan. Thanks for the advice!