Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   tiger talapian ciclid "vid" (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/tiger-talapian-ciclid-vid-104001/)

92smokeaccord 06-11-2012 12:27 PM

tiger talapian ciclid "vid"

this is mt new tiger talapian ciclid he measures at 15 inch long his name is fred

ElectricBlueJackDempsey 06-11-2012 01:05 PM

He is a beautiful fish but you might want to give him something to get out of the light. Maybe some driftwood.

92smokeaccord 06-11-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElectricBlueJackDempsey (Post 1113362)
He is a beautiful fish but you might want to give him something to get out of the light. Maybe some driftwood.

im gonna but this is just temp for now.im looking for a bigger tank for him.he is long and tall my tank is long and skinny he has a hard time turning around sometimes and is a destroyer when the lights are out..he litteraly rearranges the tank gravel and all.he rips out the air bar and pushes all the gravel to one side of the tank,knocks off the heater and plays with it...when i get him a wider tank imma get some rock and make him a cave at the end of the tank and leav the rest open for destruction time.......

Tazman 06-11-2012 07:36 PM

Change the substrate to sand as well, they are sand shifters in the wild and do well with a sandy bottom tank.

They also should be fed a very varied diet but more on the vegetarian side, sex it is impossible to tell without venting the fish as they are monomorphic which means males and females look the same. Males are generally larger but that is not going to work with just a single fish :-)

I would also not feed live feeder fish too much as it can lead to health problems, perhaps once a week with a week off in between.

I would really not add anything to the tank in terms of tankmates as "FRED" will see them as food unless they are around his / her size and of equal temperament which is aggressive!.

A nice piece of driftwood or fake plant cover would also be required, live plants they are like mini lawnmowers with and will clear them up almost overnight.

Very nice looking fish though.

92smokeaccord 06-11-2012 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tazman (Post 1113716)
Change the substrate to sand as well, they are sand shifters in the wild and do well with a sandy bottom tank.

They also should be fed a very varied diet but more on the vegetarian side, sex it is impossible to tell without venting the fish as they are monomorphic which means males and females look the same. Males are generally larger but that is not going to work with just a single fish :-)

I would also not feed live feeder fish too much as it can lead to health problems, perhaps once a week with a week off in between.

I would really not add anything to the tank in terms of tankmates as "FRED" will see them as food unless they are around his / her size and of equal temperament which is aggressive!.

A nice piece of driftwood or fake plant cover would also be required, live plants they are like mini lawnmowers with and will clear them up almost overnight.

Very nice looking fish though.

im getting play sand is that good enough?i just got him 2 days ago and my friend said he hasnt feed him feeders in a while so i thought why not.also what else can i feed him like lettece and carrots?i want to make him something special like get a nice big pvc pipe and cover it in rock to decor the tank some...

Tazman 06-12-2012 08:48 AM

:thumbsup: to lettuce, peas (deshelled) and zucchini would all be good as well.

Sounds like a good project making the pvc pipe, not sure you will be able to find one large enough though :-) Post it in the DIY section once you start the build on it :-)

92smokeaccord 06-12-2012 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tazman (Post 1114087)
:thumbsup: to lettuce, peas (deshelled) and zucchini would all be good as well.

Sounds like a good project making the pvc pipe, not sure you will be able to find one large enough though :-) Post it in the DIY section once you start the build on it :-)

you got it!