Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   I can't take it anymore... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/i-cant-take-anymore-10398/)

Holly 12-29-2007 11:18 AM

I can't take it anymore...

I need to get this out and if anyone has suggestions I would love it. I changed me tank from the 29g to a 55g. Right now it's cycling and everything is off the wall. Well I had to put my fish in the tank since i had no where else to put them. The new tank with what I haven't been able to give away of the old fish have been set up for 5 weeks now.

There's 2 guppies, pleco and corys in the tank. One week into the new tank when all my levels were showing very high, the stupid guppy had babies. OK I pulled more of them out and brought them to my tank at work which is very overstocked now. Now the thing had babies again!!! I can't take it. When I was in the house to see my pretty new tank, there's 20 babies swimming around. I'm trying to get this tank ready for cichlids but what do I do with all these guppies?! The lfs don't take babies. My lfs stink around here as I'm starting to explain things to them, mostly because of everyone on this forum!!, and I've ony been back in the hobby for 2 years!!

fish_4_all 12-29-2007 01:30 PM

There are two other things you can do with the fry but neither one is pretty. They can be culled by either freezing or using clove oil. Or you can freeze them and use/sell them as fish food for other fish. If I am correct, some ciclids will eat fry so freezing them might be a good source of food for them when you get them. Just make sure to freeze them in water cubes to prevent drying out. If you are going to be getting angles then I know they will eat fry when the angels are a little older.

Maybe try to find someone locally who has puffers, large angels or some other predatory fish that can use the fry as food. Or someone who has some sort of larger crustacean that would make a happy snack out of them.

Little-Fizz 12-29-2007 01:54 PM

Don't guppys eat their fry sometimes? Maybe if you just left them in there the problem would be solved after a few days?

MattD 12-29-2007 02:03 PM

You can rid the problem at its source: euthanize the guppies doing the spawning.

It's what I would do. It may seem cruel, but you have to understand what could happen of you don't intervene.

tophat665 12-30-2007 04:15 PM

I had a tank with a guppy explosion going on. I added three leopard Ctenos, and that cleared the problem right up. Course, I now can't put any fish smaller than a platy in that tank, at least until I get the Ctenos into the 110 I bought for them.

Angelfish are also pure hell on guppy fry. Some loaches will eat them too, as will African Dwarf frogs.

willow 12-30-2007 04:37 PM

hi
if you have had enough then get rid of the females.
they will continue to breed like rabbits,and you will just
keep having the same problem,unless you do as the
others here have said and get something to eat the babies,
my guppys are in with barbs,i now have no problem
with fry.

Holly 01-05-2008 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little-Fizz
Don't guppys eat their fry sometimes? Maybe if you just left them in there the problem would be solved after a few days?

That's what some of the books say but I had guppies for 2 years and never lost one fry. Yes, every 28 days I had more. I ended up leaving them in the tank for right now since the male didn't make it. I'm going to get a dwark frog so maybe I'll leave them be and let him take care of the problem. At least then they'll be going to feeding another fish/frog. Thanks guys!!