Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Guppy/Molly giving birth, need some help and questions answered! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/guppy-molly-giving-birth-need-some-103885/)

LyzzaRyzz 06-10-2012 02:22 AM

Guppy/Molly giving birth, need some help and questions answered!

So, I had three female mollies, and two female guppies.
One of them is giving birth!
I have no idea who, but Ive been sitting in front of my tank trying to watch all of them, and I just cant figure it out!
I netted two, and put them in my 2.5, and I saw three get eaten by my ghost shrimp.
[im seriously reconsidering separating the fish and shrimp]

Question one is how do you tell the difference between a guppy and a Molly fry? I've looked at pictures, and just can't tell.
Also, how do you figure out whose giving birth?
Two of my female mollies and the male were swimming together, and the two female guppies were generally swimming together and the remaining female Molly seemed to be hanging out with the guppy male. The mollies seemed to be chasing one female guppy in particular, could she be the one?

I know I'll have many more batches, but this is the first!

I have square patches of plants in my tank, and since I saw some babies toto the bottom and some to the top, I made one of my patches float, for the babies that go up...the ones that go down, well...I hope they get their swimmers legs soon, or the ghosties will get them!
I don't like it, but it's 3:30am here and I cant be up staring all night when I don't even know which one is doing it!

I almost bought a breeder today too. Shoulda figured I didn't one of them would give birth!

LyzzaRyzz 06-10-2012 06:35 PM

Bump!

**update**
From what ive seen, there were seven babies, i rescued three, and i saw three getting eaten. The seventh one dissapeared in the tank, and i havent been able to find him, so im assuming he was snatched.
I ended up putting them in my 2.5 which had gravel on the bottom, and today, when trying to remove the gravel [with a plastic spoon, mind you!] i accidentally squished one of them. Hes still alive, and moves a bit, but nowhere near the other ones.

I was talking with my friend, and she said mollies are born with color, and guppies arent. My babies are silver with big eyes. So im leaning towards them being guppies. But id appreciate any other ways to tell the difference!

FluffyWolf2 06-11-2012 07:02 AM

As a question do you have just silver mollies or do you have ones like Dalmation, Gold Dust, Black, etc. I have two molly fry that survived birth that I found (I assume a few got eaten) and they are distinctly black and yellow in the body, and have a clear/silver tail. I only have Mollies so that is what my Fry look like. I'll attach a picture here of them.

I would say if your mollies are not the silver one's and the fry show any coloration then they are the mollies, otherwise they may be the guppy. But wait for a second opinion :)

Img: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/a...ecb23_full.jpg

Fishpunk 06-11-2012 01:00 PM

IT could be either one. A lot depends on the strain of fish you have. The mollies should be a little bigger than guppy fry, though if you only have one litter, that isn't very helpful. They will start coloring up in a couple weeks, so that will help you.

My own experieince. Guppies are born with less colors, even my black Moscows were born silver/white. My black mollies were born black. My dalmatian mollies were born white, and did not get spots for a t least a month.

Probably the fish arrived in your tank already gravid. Thing is, with litters, you also get males, so be ready for the next generation when the time comes.

LyzzaRyzz 06-11-2012 04:39 PM

I have a dalmation, a white one and a golden one. The first two fry, one is darker than the other, and i have a third fry today, that is clearish, but is smaller, and is mostly head and eyes, with a little tail.

Im going to assume that the first two are mollies, and the third is a guppy...

Thanks for the picture fluffywolf!

marshallsea 06-13-2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FluffyWolf2 (Post 1113104)
As a question do you have just silver mollies or do you have ones like Dalmation, Gold Dust, Black, etc. I have two molly fry that survived birth that I found (I assume a few got eaten) and they are distinctly black and yellow in the body, and have a clear/silver tail. I only have Mollies so that is what my Fry look like. I'll attach a picture here of them.

I would say if your mollies are not the silver one's and the fry show any coloration then they are the mollies, otherwise they may be the guppy. But wait for a second opinion :)

Img: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/a...ecb23_full.jpg

Nice! What type of plant is that?