Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Question about Platy Behaviour. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/question-about-platy-behaviour-103857/)

nawilson89 06-09-2012 07:33 PM

Question about Platy Behaviour.

I've had my Platy for a few months now. I have about 5, but I cant tell their sex. I've seen some weird stuff going on though lately. Three of my Platy swim up to one of their tank mates and kind of turn themselves on their sides and try to "dock" into the fish.

Is that a mating thing? And are those my males that are doing so?

The part that is weird to me is that they aren't going two another platy! One of them is trying it with a tetra, the other a molly, and the small one is going after a female betta!

Next week I want to separate them into their own tank, but I'm hoping to know what my male:female ratio is so I can purchase more and balance it out for breeding.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Fishpunk 06-09-2012 07:59 PM

Read this.

Platies - Livebearing Tropical Fish

nawilson89 06-10-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishpunk (Post 1111544)

I think that worked! Thanks alot!

rhymon78 06-10-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nawilson89 (Post 1111500)
I've had my Platy for a few months now. I have about 5, but I cant tell their sex. I've seen some weird stuff going on though lately. Three of my Platy swim up to one of their tank mates and kind of turn themselves on their sides and try to "dock" into the fish.

Is that a mating thing? And are those my males that are doing so?

The part that is weird to me is that they aren't going two another platy! One of them is trying it with a tetra, the other a molly, and the small one is going after a female betta!

Next week I want to separate them into their own tank, but I'm hoping to know what my male:female ratio is so I can purchase more and balance it out for breeding.

Thanks in advance for the help!

I have 3 male platys, had 4 but had to return one to the LFS as it was a terrible bully!

I actively dislike my platys, as all they do ALL day is display to one another, and chase each other round. My wife wanted them, I didn't. I decided to get all males so I wouldn't have fry every couple of weeks or whatever. But its not a great idea. I think they are frustrated as there is no females for them to take their spawning aggression out on.... I guess fish have needs too:oops:

What they do is saddle up side by side and each fish bends into a funny shape, like an S and then they kind of try to knock each other with their tale fins. Sometimes just this, other times its all out aggression, chasing around the tank, nipping, and just pretty much ugly and uninteresting behaviour. If I could get rid of them I would, and I would never keep platys again, once these ones finally give up. I know its my fault for not providing the correct environment for them, and putting all males together, but there you go, learn from your mistakes. Its not their fault, but not much I can do now..

nawilson89 06-10-2012 03:23 PM

I didn't think I would like them either, but I got them after looking at them for a while and I found that they are one of my favorite fish. I guess because I have "females" they are pretty calm, but I would love for them to spawn more!

I want to know how many females per male I have because I think I want to get a Swordtail.

rhymon78 06-10-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nawilson89 (Post 1112398)
I didn't think I would like them either, but I got them after looking at them for a while and I found that they are one of my favorite fish. I guess because I have "females" they are pretty calm, but I would love for them to spawn more!

I want to know how many females per male I have because I think I want to get a Swordtail.

yeah, all males SUCKS! just horrible to watch.... they were ok at first, but over time have just got worse and worse.

I just did a quick google search on platy sexing, and found a diagram showing clearly the difference in the two... the males have a pointy thing by the anus, and the females have a round fin... take a look. might help you sex the ones you have.

normally people advise 1 male to 3-4 females, to avoid over harassing on one particular female during spawning.

hope this helps...

the Smiley Fish

nawilson89 06-10-2012 05:58 PM

Thanks! I looked from the site Fishpunk posted (saved it to favorites) after looking at my platies I learned I have 1 Male and 4 Females.