Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   DIY Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/diy-aquarium/)
-   -   Sealants that are safe to use? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/diy-aquarium/sealants-safe-use-103778/)

Boredomb 06-08-2012 09:29 PM

Sealants that are safe to use?

I am looking at making some DIY stuff but I know they will have to be sealed so what is the best stuff to use? Have heard people using polyurethane varnish or sprays such as this: Krylon: Products: Clear Polyurethane Coating or would epoxy be better and if so what brand?

Tazman 06-08-2012 09:43 PM

Ge Silicone 1 is aquarium safe and bonds well.

Coral putty if you are not making a big item.

Epoxy is dangerous and you MUST MUST get a proper Respirator mask when using it and not work with it anywhere near air intakes in your house. It stinks and is dangerous in its raw uncured form to your health.

Some people even use cement to seal decorations such as backgrounds.

Boredomb 06-08-2012 09:51 PM

Tazman Thanks for the word of caution but have worked with epoxys before. Silicone won't work as it isn't the right kind of sealant. Am going to be making a background but need to seal it which is why I was looking at the Krylon polyurethane spray. I have read on other forums and sites where use this was just curious about ppls take on it here.

Tazman 06-08-2012 09:54 PM

I know nothing about that so cannot comment on that :-)

Boredomb 06-08-2012 11:23 PM

Thanks anyways and I guess I really should have Sealers in the title and not sealants ....oops
Posted via Mobile Device

fish monger 06-09-2012 09:26 AM

What type of materials are you trying to seal ? There are methods for curing materials like concrete / cement. Otherwise, I'd be wary of adding anything to a tank that would need to be sealed against itself. JMO

Boredomb 06-09-2012 02:33 PM

Great Stuff spray foam
Posted via Mobile Device

AbbeysDad 06-09-2012 03:01 PM

I wonder about Krylon's crystal clear acrylic spray...but do NOT know.
I think the guys on Tanked used an epoxy to seal a fiberglass shark piece on one show (I was surprised that fiberglass [aka polyester resin] was a problem).

CinBos 06-09-2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbbeysDad (Post 1111172)
I think the guys on Tanked used an epoxy to seal a fiberglass shark piece on one show (I was surprised that fiberglass [aka polyester resin] was a problem).

Ths is one of my questions too. I am wanting to paint some fake driftwood pieces. I have been hearing that Krylon Fusion is the paint use, but I want to seal it just make sure I am not harming my fish. So I have been looking around for stuff. I did see a video of UaraJoey on youtube using some sort of resin as his sealer.

Here it is:

Also if anyone can clear this up for me, please do. What type of resin and where can I get it?

Boredomb 06-09-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbbeysDad (Post 1111172)

I went to the store earlier and saw that product and was wondering the same thing...... I think I might call and find out if no one knows for sure?