Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Final additions 12 gallon tall (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/final-additions-12-gallon-tall-103772/)

bubbles1 06-08-2012 10:08 PM

Final additions 12 gallon tall

Okay so I have a fluval edge 12 gallon currently with:

6-glow light rasbora
3 panda cories
Few cherry and Amano shrimp

With some Anubis nana
Crypts
Java moss and fern and few anarchis

I planning to add a few things. I just wanna have some critique on my new arrivals

I was planning on getting some jungle Val and dwarf sag, apparently they are both low light and easy to care for so ya :)

And for fish I was planning on getting

Trio of platies or group of male guppies

And Small school of cherry barbs, or some type of bottom or top schooling fish.
I wanna have something that wont interfere with the rasboras, because they school nicely in the middle of the tank, so I was thinking cherry barbs cause they'd stick lower to the drift wood and they're nice to :)

So can anyone give me a species that could do so^^
Id want some opinions perhaps of any good plants that are low light also!

Thanks for all help :) !!

marshallsea 06-08-2012 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbles1 (Post 1110598)
Okay so I have a fluval edge 12 gallon currently with:

6-glow light rasbora
3 panda cories
Few cherry and Amano shrimp

With some Anubis nana
Crypts
Java moss and fern and few anarchis

I planning to add a few things. I just wanna have some critique on my new arrivals

I was planning on getting some jungle Val and dwarf sag, apparently they are both low light and easy to care for so ya :)

And for fish I was planning on getting

Trio of platies or group of male guppies

And Small school of cherry barbs, or some type of bottom or top schooling fish.
I wanna have something that wont interfere with the rasboras, because they school nicely in the middle of the tank, so I was thinking cherry barbs cause they'd stick lower to the drift wood and they're nice to :)

So can anyone give me a species that could do so^^
Id want some opinions perhaps of any good plants that are low light also!

Thanks for all help :) !!

im sorry to say any more fish will be overstocked. you may be overstocked now. there is a fish stocking calculator at aqadvice.com that works as a guide. a person with experience will advise on this thread, im sure.

marshallsea 06-08-2012 10:29 PM

sorry thats aqadvisor .com

Byron 06-09-2012 12:45 PM

First question, what is the species you call "glowlight rasbora?" This common name googled comes up with several species.

Second question, what are the water parameters? GH and pH here.

On the plants, I would not get Jungle Vall [in our profiles as Giant Vallisneria] for a small tank, this is an enormous plant. The Corkscrew Vallisneria will work, if you have medium hard or harder water. Dwarf Sagittaria is fine.

Byron.

Olympia 06-09-2012 12:55 PM

I would get 1-2 more panda cories. It's an okay school size, but a few more would be better.
Your tank already sounds pretty full to me otherwise, unless this is a micro fish, in which case tank mates can be a challenge.
Other than that, we need the info that Byron requested.

bubbles1 06-11-2012 07:42 PM

The rasbora is called rasbora hengeli Or trigonOstigma hengeli they are pretty small, and I'd think I'd just want some plants instead. My ph is 7 and my hardness is 7, I'm kinda just looking towards a nice planted tank, my plants are limited though due to my lighting :( the plants I currently have are growing nicely and no bad signs! Except my red crypt I realized recently that it's more needy when it comes to light so it's slowly melting it appears :( and what if I got the jungle Val for my 55 gallon African cichlid tank? And is corkscrew Val lowlight as well?
I was thinking some corkscrew Val for my background, and some GREEN crypts and dwarf sag for my foreground. And possibly another Anubis of some sort :).. And side question, are all crypts and Anubis species easy and low light? (other than the red crypts)

Thx for all help!

Byron 06-11-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbles1 (Post 1113667)
The rasbora is called rasbora hengeli Or trigonOstigma hengeli they are pretty small, and I'd think I'd just want some plants instead. My ph is 7 and my hardness is 7, I'm kinda just looking towards a nice planted tank, my plants are limited though due to my lighting :( the plants I currently have are growing nicely and no bad signs! Except my red crypt I realized recently that it's more needy when it comes to light so it's slowly melting it appears :( and what if I got the jungle Val for my 55 gallon African cichlid tank? And is corkscrew Val lowlight as well?
I was thinking some corkscrew Val for my background, and some GREEN crypts and dwarf sag for my foreground. And possibly another Anubis of some sort :).. And side question, are all crypts and Anubis species easy and low light? (other than the red crypts)

Thx for all help!

Vallisneria (any species does better in medium hard to hard water. In soft water (7 presumably is degrees, so that is soft), such as you have and what i have, it struggles. Assuming the African cichlid tank has hard water (they need it) the Vall should do fine in there, if they don't eat it.:-)

Trigonostigma hengeli is fine. Just goes to show how useless common names are, this is sometimes called the Copper Harlequin, I used Hengeli Rasbora for the common name in the profiles. There is a Glowlight Rasbora that gets larger. The T. hengeli is a very nice fish, it is my personal favourite of the four similar species in the genus.

Crypts and Anubias and Java Fern and Java Moss are low to moderate light. Some crypts can manage in brighter, but the others don't. Your light is not low, from what I remember, so these shoudl be fine, and pygmy chain sword. It is only a 12g. Which brings me back to the fish, now that we know what they are, I agree with whomever it was, that the corys should be increased to five, and now I know the rasbora I would get another 3. That will do it for fish, but both will be better (happier, and healthier) with the additions.