Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Ancient Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/)
-   -   ABF (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/abf-10374/)

LincolnS 12-28-2007 06:49 PM

ABF

Ive just been entranced by the ABF. I have a 29 gallon from all ive read it seems as though he would be fine in there with fake plants( i must get some floaters).

What else could i put in the tank with him? How large a tank is for 2? Any other "ancient fish" This seems to have evolved into my favorite group of fish :) Also fish history question...are plecos ancient too? they look as though they have bee naround for a while(swimming method, scales and everything)

THanks much for the answers coming :)

LincolnS 12-28-2007 07:11 PM

i also thought of a few more questions...do these fish go with ABF

1. bristlenose pleco
2. otos
3. corydoras
4. black skirt tetras
5. kuhli loaches

Also would he/they enjoy a ghost shrimp snack every oncfe in a while :)

TY again

LincolnS 12-30-2007 07:31 AM

anybody please? :)

MattD 12-30-2007 01:27 PM

I had an ABF, and you'll find that they are rather tolerant except during feeding. They exclusively occupy the top levels of the tank, rarely venturing downwards. I noticed he became quite aggressive during feeding time, so feed him first before trying to feed the tank.

Good luck.

tophat665 12-30-2007 02:39 PM

Bristlenose, yes. Corys, yes. Black Skirts, maybe (sometimes can be nippy, and might be small enough to be eaten depending on their size). Kuhlis - probably not - I can just imagine that one rocketing around the tank in the early morning might be seen by the ABF as a delicious, candy-striped worm. Ottos, No- too small, would probably be eaten on a midwater swim.

How's this for a tank: An ABF, a Peacock or Zig Zag eel, a Bristlenose, and 8 or so Platies (2 males, 6 females). The platies would pump out the fry to keep the ABF and Eel in live food.

LincolnS 12-30-2007 03:14 PM

i like the idea but conned into buying a pair of angels...really good price and quality and locally bred(hadnt lost one in their tanks at store for 2 years)..

So now i have

3 otos
a common pleco(yes i know hell grow but i like him)
2 angelfish
and a real small snail that came with the otos accidenntly

so a few black sirts or white skirts and an abf? or no :)
if not what kind of barb/tetra would be compatibile with the other fish

thanks again :)

tophat665 12-30-2007 03:56 PM

Me, I'd skip the ABF, then. However, if you were willing to risk the otos, then sure, and black skirts might be a problem, but are probably OK. Unless you have Koi angels, though, I'd think about getting some red wag platies (to produce fry for the ABF and angels) or Red Phantom tetras instead. I have High Fin Black Skirts in my 55 amazon, and they look sort of like Angels from a distance. On an aesthetic level, I'd go for something in a red or blue or yellow by way of contrast.

bf2king 02-06-2008 08:37 PM

If u can find something to do with the smaller fish i hear of Angel Fish Breeders Useing ABF's to go into the tank to give them something to protect their fry from...

I myself Have a 55 "oddball tank"
the list of fish is at the bottom and i actually have my abf and bichir feeding on ghost shrimp (besides the frozen fish food, flakes, and shrimp pellets i feed them)

1 thing about my guy is he hates it whem i come close to the tank and he likes to stay reletively still...

okiemavis 02-06-2008 10:16 PM

As other ancient fish go, you could try a bumblebee goby- although I'm not sure how they'd get on with Otos, I've never kept them. They should be just fine with the ABF and angelfish however.

soco1125 02-15-2008 11:22 AM

if you ever get a chance to upgrade to a bigger tank, congo tetras look good in a tank with an abf or two. i keep mine in a 55g with a bunch of feeder guppies.

also i thought i'd mention that i've got my abf tame enough to take food out of my hand :)