Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Ancient Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/)
-   -   African Butterfly Fish Question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/african-butterfly-fish-question-103738/)

PhatRam32 06-08-2012 02:42 PM

African Butterfly Fish Question

So I just purchased this fish not too long ago and I was in the process of introducing him my tank when he jumped out of the plastic bag and hit the floor (4-5 foot drop). I Immediately picked him up and placed him in the tank..obviously he looks traumatized.. I hope he wasn't hurt too bad to the point where he might die..

Any tips to watch out for or any signs that he is not doing too good would be appreciated. Freaking out a little bit :cry:

Byron 06-09-2012 12:01 PM

The only question is whether or not internal damage was done. This is something we can't know now. Just leave it alone in the tank, don't try to get it moving or feeding or anything. Keep the tank quiet. If the only "damage" was stress, it should recover. When it is back to normal, at the surface, try feeding it. Assuming you know how to do this, as this fish will not take just any food.

I had a pair of these many years ago, and one day the male jumped out and fell 5 feet to the floor. I found him and picked him up and put him back in the tank, and he dove to the bottom and just sat there for a couple hours. Eventually he went back to the surface, and was back to normal in a day or so.

You can read more on this fish and its needs in our profile, click the shaded name Pantodon buchholzi.

Byron.

jaysee 06-09-2012 12:24 PM

If it fell on carpet I would not be that concerned. Like was said, give it some time. Make sure you have a tight fitting lid and be mindful about closing it. They can literally fly across the room.

Mine accepted NLS pellets from day one - if you have trouble feeding it, call and ask the store what they were feeding.

PhatRam32 06-10-2012 01:00 AM

I have left him alone for 24 hrs and seems fine. I placed some frozen blood worms and he ate a few which is a good sign. I think the worst is behind him/her. I will also buy the nls pellets that were suggested. How about small crickets! The cashier at pet supermarket told me they love this as a treat. Thank you all for the info.
Posted via Mobile Device

jaysee 06-10-2012 01:22 AM

Yes, I feed mine any insects I find. They like crickets very much. I feed 2 mm NLS thera A pellets - while they are a sinking pellet, you can place them on the water and they will float, having not landed with enough force to fully submerge them. You can tell males from females from the anal fin - males have an extension.

PhatRam32 06-10-2012 01:36 AM

Hmmm interesting. Will check and see as far as the sex goes. First time owner of these wonderful fish! They are a joy to watch.
Posted via Mobile Device

jaysee 06-10-2012 01:40 AM

Well, they sure are interesting to look at. Aside from feeding, there's not much to watch....