Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Filters + Cycling Questions

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Geomancer 
#1 ·
Filter Question:
I currently have an Aqueon 10 Quiet Flow. Came with the 10 Gallon Delux setup and is working wonders. I have a question about replacing the filter though. Although you can purchase those sets of filters to replace, what is the optimal way to replace one of these so you do not lose any of your cycling bacteria, or other positive mediums that have built up.

Cycling Question:
I've had and been doing a fish in cycle (more due to ignorance then anything), and have been watching my parameters quite closely and doing water changes. The tank has now been cycling for 6 weeks. I am inclined to say I should have seen some Nitrite or Nitrate or other fluctuation. I don't know if I'm reading my results wrong or not. I currently use the API Master Test Kit.
My readings are typically anywhere from 0ppm - 0.25ppm (I give the range since the coloring is usually between these two).
Should I be concerned? Should I not? Although cycling differs from tank to tank is this an abnormal amount of time to have the tank not show any differentiation?

If there's anything I can supply to help aid in the question & answer please let me know and I can get you the results when available.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
You can do your water change as normal and when you have your tank water in a bucket, put your filter in the bucket and rinse off debris. Then put it and bacteria back in housing. Once your tank is established you wont have to do this. Just dont change water and filter on same day. As for your water and cycling questions, im in the same boat. Ill be watching for an expert to answer.

#3 ·
Filter: This is tricky, unless you don't care about Carbon (I don't because my tanks are planted). The filter pad itself can be used forever until it literally falls apart, or looses its shape so water goes around it instead of through it.

An idea would be to buy a foam pre-filter that you stick into the intake of the HOB. That you just squish a few times in your old tank water to remove the debris in it, then put it back on the filter intake. They'll last a very long time and will keep enough bacteria to prevent new mini-cycles. I got some at Petsmart, they were the Fluval brand, and were less than $2 if I remember right. Maybe $3.

Cycle: At 6 weeks, with fish in the tank, yes you should of seen something by now. What is your water change schedule (how much and how often)? And do you have live plants (and if so, how many and what type)?

In response to another poster, it dosen't mater if you change water and the filter on the same day, the water does not contain any beneficial bacteria, it's all in the filter, substrate, and other hard surfaces (decorations and such).

#5 · (Edited)
My water changes are roughly every third day. I backed this up from every two days a few weeks ago to be sure I wasn't doing the changes to quickly, and it is about 25% changes give or take. Vacuum the gravel different parts each time.

Forgot two moss ball plants

#6 ·
Hold back on water changes to once a week, but test each day to see if anything creeps up. With that many water changes, if your tank is cycled you probably won't read much of anything.

Have you tested your tap water? It's possible for tap water to contain any of the three. If it does in the small amounts you have listed that's nothing to worry about. For example, if your tap water has a little bit of Ammonia or Nitrite you can use a water conditioner that detoxifies it like Seachem Prime which will bind it long enough for the bacteria to take care of it.

#7 ·
wow 10 gallon with a 25% water change every 2-3 days.i think you are makeing the tank have to re cycle every2nd time you change the water.for every 2nd time thats about half and that tank is quite small so there is even less things the bacteria can hang on to.id let up on gravel cleaning to about once evey 2 weeks.that also where you bacteria grows.you might just be sucking most of it out.if i were you id leave the tank do nuthing but test the water for about 2 weeks or untill you start to see some changes in parameters.once that happens 25% water change.

#10 ·
I'm afraid they told you wrong.

It's common for people with fully stocked tanks to do 1/3 to 1/2 water change weekly because it is best to keep Nitrates under 20 ppm, along with removing other pollutants that can not be tested for (as an example urine).

When cycling a tank it's best to not have any fish, and instead do a fishless cycle. If fish are being used during the cycling process, you have no choice but to do more frequent changes. The damage from Ammonia and Nitrite are permanent, the fish do not heal from it over time.

You can read more here: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/...inners-guide-freshwater-aquarium-cycle-38617/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.