Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   DIY Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/diy-aquarium/)
-   -   Painting Aquarium Items (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/diy-aquarium/painting-aquarium-items-103692/)

CinBos 06-07-2012 11:48 PM

Painting Aquarium Items

If you look at my pictures, you will notice the centerpeice which is fake driftwood made by topfin. After looking at many of yalls pictures, I've been digging actual driftwood. I've tried driftwood before, but didnt like how it staied my water, and also the process in water logging it. I was wondering if I could paint the fake driftwood piece a darker more realistic driftwood color? If I can, what type of paint and what would be the process in doing so?
Posted via Mobile Device

CinBos 06-08-2012 09:02 AM

Anything suggestions?

Tazman 06-08-2012 10:01 AM

Provided that the paint is allowed to cure completely I don't see the reason not too. Use Krylon Fusion spray paint as this is aquarium safe.

CinBos 06-08-2012 11:38 AM

Yeah thats what I think I am going to do. I have been hearing that from others as well. I plan to let whateverI paint cure for about a month, so it completely gases out.

CinBos 06-08-2012 11:43 AM

Also, In a filter, does it matter what order the media is in, or is there a specific order. I was wanting to add some ceramic media to a HOB, for some added filtration. there are little compartments, that allows me to add something. What do you all think?

Romad 06-08-2012 11:52 AM

I've always kept ceramic rings and/or stars in the middle section of my filters. Coarse pads on the bottom, bio-media in the middle, fine pads or floss at the top.

So far, so good with the placement.

CinBos 06-08-2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romad (Post 1110110)
I've always kept ceramic rings and/or stars in the middle section of my filters. Coarse pads on the bottom, bio-media in the middle, fine pads or floss at the top.

So far, so good with the placement.

Appreciate it. I figured there wasnt a general rule, but I just wanted to be sure. I will stick with what you do, and just place the media in the middle of those floss pads.

CinBos 06-09-2012 12:40 AM

Ive been hearing that I could use Drylok (what people use on DIY backgrounds) and color using quikrete coloring to get the color I want. Anyone have any ideas about this?
Posted via Mobile Device

scottydoesntknow00 08-29-2012 10:39 PM

Drylok

CinBos,

Not sure if you're still monitoring this thread but the Drylok stuff works well for DIY backgrounds. Like Tazman said with any paint/sealer/stain in the tank, allow it to dry fully and then perform a water test on it. Fill the tank, let it sit for a day and then test all parameters (or take it to your LFS for testing) and check for tinted water. Hope this helps.