Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   New Setup! Need help stocking. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/new-setup-need-help-stocking-103622/)

NatashaL 06-07-2012 11:17 AM

New Setup! Need help stocking.
 
Greetings,

My name is Natasha and I am new the the whole fish keeping hobby. I can't wait to get started and have a wonderful aquarium.

I have recently purchased a 40 gallon aquarium with all the necessities for set up. It's been well over a month since I have started my 'fishless cycling' It has been long awaited but everything seems to be in order to start adding some fish!

I have done some research on what could be the best fish combination for beginners. I'm looking to have a freshwater community tank with the variation of fish listed below..

Two male and four female pearl gouramis. Two male and four female blue gouramis. Six angelfish. Six Corydoras. One Ancistrus or Pleco.

I searched and searched for different recommendations on which fish would go well together and so on, the variation above is something that I came across, did some research on the fish and grew quite fond of them. Although to me it does seem maybe like it is a bit too much to put into an aquarium of my size, correct me if I am wrong!

So a few questions if anyone doesn't mind taking the time to answer, would be well appreciated =D

Is the list above too many fish for my aquarium?
How would you recommend stocking the tank? Slowly with one species at a time, or just fully stock etc?
What type of Angelfish would be preferable for a beginner?

I have read many different forums where some people say Angelfish are good for beginners and some that say not so much. I am very interested in keeping Angelfish so any input would be fantastic!

Looking forward to hearing back from you all! Can't wait to get some fishy friends and post some pictures =)

marshallsea 06-07-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NatashaL (Post 1109071)
Greetings,

My name is Natasha and I am new the the whole fish keeping hobby. I can't wait to get started and have a wonderful aquarium.

I have recently purchased a 40 gallon aquarium with all the necessities for set up. It's been well over a month since I have started my 'fishless cycling' It has been long awaited but everything seems to be in order to start adding some fish!

I have done some research on what could be the best fish combination for beginners. I'm looking to have a freshwater community tank with the variation of fish listed below..

Two male and four female pearl gouramis. Two male and four female blue gouramis. Six angelfish. Six Corydoras. One Ancistrus or Pleco.

I searched and searched for different recommendations on which fish would go well together and so on, the variation above is something that I came across, did some research on the fish and grew quite fond of them. Although to me it does seem maybe like it is a bit too much to put into an aquarium of my size, correct me if I am wrong!

So a few questions if anyone doesn't mind taking the time to answer, would be well appreciated =D

Is the list above too many fish for my aquarium?
How would you recommend stocking the tank? Slowly with one species at a time, or just fully stock etc?
What type of Angelfish would be preferable for a beginner?

I have read many different forums where some people say Angelfish are good for beginners and some that say not so much. I am very interested in keeping Angelfish so any input would be fantastic!

Looking forward to hearing back from you all! Can't wait to get some fishy friends and post some pictures =)

i cant answer questions about specific fish compatibility but i can say thats too many fish. and you should add fish slowly. 2 or 3 a week at the most.

marshallsea 06-07-2012 11:40 AM

p.s. aqadvisor.com has a fish stocking calculator the will work as a guide for your tank.good luck

NatashaL 06-07-2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marshallsea (Post 1109099)
p.s. aqadvisor.com has a fish stocking calculator the will work as a guide for your tank.good luck


Thank you very much for your input, much appreciated! The link you gave me is very helpful, definitely will be using this!

Another question, as you said only stock a few fish at a time.. When stocking fish that require to be in schools of at least 6, do I stock all 6 or only start with a few then add some more?

Thanks again!

marshallsea 06-07-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NatashaL (Post 1109108)
Thank you very much for your input, much appreciated! The link you gave me is very helpful, definitely will be using this!

Another question, as you said only stock a few fish at a time.. When stocking fish that require to be in schools of at least 6, do I stock all 6 or only start with a few then add some more?

Thanks again!

im new to this and have thought about stocking schooling fish 3 or 6 at a time. on one hand 3 at a time is better for the fish and water but can stress the fish. on the other hand 6 would be happier but would make for worse water. if you really wanted to do 6, i would do 50% water changes DAILY!(2 weeks)
. rule 1 is change a lot of water often until your tank is established.

Olympia 06-08-2012 06:58 AM

Someone must have missed this... Between the two gourami species and angel fish, you can only have one. The gourami species may (or may not) fight each other, but gourami, and angelfish are a bad mix. Cichlids and anabantids just don't go together. :(
If you have your heart set on angels, go for it.. As long as you are good with maintenance, I don't see why a beginner can't handle them. Usually "beginner" fish are those tough fish that'll survive a cycle, most beginners don't know what cycling is and add fish on day one.
Tank mates for angel fish.. Hmm not an expert here, but some of the large tetra might be a good idea. Smaller fish have a chance to be killed. Also, buy all the angels you want at the same time, adding more to a group later is risky as they can be territorial.
How many angel fish are you looking into? 40 gallons may be a bit small for them.
Posted via Mobile Device

Geomancer 06-08-2012 08:19 AM

A 40 gallon is too small for a school of Angelfish, the only way you could keep them in that small of a tank is if you bought a breeding pair. They would need to already be a pair, you can't buy a male and female and expect them to form a pair (if you can even tell their sex beforehand, very difficult with Angels).

If you go with Gourami, pick only one kind and don't get very many of them. They can get rather aggressive when they mature depending on the species. The site here has profiles for the fish you mention, the link is on the blue bar at the top of the pages here. Read up on them, they contain everything you'll need to know including stocking suggestions and minimum tank sizes.

For stocking, as mentioned, do only one school at a time and wait a minimum of 1 week between additions. Use of a QT tank is recommended after the first school.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2