Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Algae Problem (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/algae-problem-103621/)

Egrant 06-07-2012 10:14 AM

Algae Problem

Hello everyone.

I am not sure what is going on in my tank and was wondering if anyone could help out. I have Green Algae all over my my rocks, and a brownish green algae that is growing on my gravel/glass. It seems to grow pretty quick. I wiipe the glass prob twice a week. it is not all over but enough that i can see it in spots so i wipe it. The water is really clear and all my water perameters are spot on. My nitrates were at about a 10 (little less) according to the API test set.

I hate the wat it looks, please let me know what i can do to get rid of it.

prinmel 06-07-2012 02:47 PM

I have had the same problem in the past. What kind of lighting do you have? Any natural sunlight exposer? Having live plants can help too. here is a good link. Tackling Aquarium Algae Problems (AQUARIUM CARE ARTICLES)

Egrant 06-07-2012 05:19 PM

I have NO natural sunlight on it. Keep it a little too dark in the room because i am scared of the tank getting too much sun. I have a 6' Jebo light (4x55W compacts, 2 blue 2 white). I never turn them on before 430 at night and shut them off by 10....... I am thinking i may have to switch over to some T-8's or 5's.

Egrant 06-08-2012 03:02 PM

Noone has an opinion on this??

Tazman 06-08-2012 09:15 PM

Check you Nitrate levels and see if they are high. Also it could be that you are feeding too much and uneaten food is accumulating. This can lead to algae growing strongly.

Pearl2011 06-08-2012 10:14 PM

Empty a fair amount of water and using a scrunched paper towel wipe all the algae off using UPward strokes, wipe down the rocks while there our of the water. I find this helps lots, if your using fertilizer maybe knock it down a notch. Just an idea.

You could add a peaceful algae eater, that could help. Algae sucks sooo bad.

Egrant 06-08-2012 11:48 PM

Taz - Well the Nitrates are at about 20... a little high i would think (not sure what is ideal). If i switch my filter media to - Keep bottom tray ceramic rings - change middle tray to Bio Max - top tray to purigen, will this help? I am not sure if more good bacteria will help with nitrates or not....

Pearl - I have one spotted pleco and added two chinese algae eaters this week. should help but still have to get it under control. I wipe the glass at least twice a week. Prob only needs it like once a week ( i am a little anal)

Pearl2011 06-09-2012 11:47 AM

[quote=Pearl - I have one spotted pleco and added two chinese algae eaters this week. should help but still have to get it under control. I wipe the glass at least twice a week. Prob only needs it like once a week ( i am a little anal)[/quote]

LOL, same here. Once CAE grow up dont they stop eating algae? Adding live plants can help

Byron 06-09-2012 12:12 PM

Getting specific fish just to eat "algae" is not advisable because most fish won't eat the problem algae anyway. And some, like the Chinese Algae Eater mentioned, are more trouble than they are effective, this is a fish one should never buy.

Algae occurs due to light, and nutrients. Live plants will (should) prevent algae from being troublesome. But without plants, expect algae if there is light. Nutrients will obviously always be present with fish in the tank.

You need to tell us the type of algae, as there are several. We may be able to offer more advice then.

Egrant 06-09-2012 08:05 PM

I wish i knew what kind of algae it was. On the gravel it looks a little brownish green and green on the rocks. With it be a cichlid tank i am pretty sure keeping live plants is not really feasable.

I am starting to think i need to get rid of my compact lights and go back to the T-8's as they do not get near as hot. At this point i am trying to keep the light on for 6 hours at the most. That is about as little as i would like to go since a dark tank is not nearly as enjoyable.