Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Crayfish and guppies...5g... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/crayfish-guppies-5g-103578/)

LyzzaRyzz 06-06-2012 06:44 PM

Crayfish and guppies...5g...

So, Im wondering..

Would i be able to keep guppies in my cray tank?

I got three guppies and four mollies today, and i didnt know mollies got that big!

Right now, there are three rosies in my crays tank. They were supposed to be food, but he just couldent catch them, and now he doesnt even try. I was feeding sinking shrimp food to them, in hopes that they would get close enough to snatch one, but even when they are so close their almost touching, he just doesnt care. Even when theres no food, the rosies stay close to him, even swimming in front of him, and mr cray does nothing.
He only reacts when there is a dead fish, and even then i have to wave it in front of his face.

So, i figure, i could try to keep the guppies i got today in the tank instead of the rosies, cause they are smaller.
The rosies i can freeze or kill and feed him, so theres no waste here.

I know the odds of him catching a guppy is moderate, but even with fish that aer easily a size and a half bigger, cray cant catch em.

Whatre your thoughts?

jaysee 06-06-2012 07:31 PM

The crayfish will stop eating before it molts it's shell, so that could be what's going on. I promise you that it will catch the fish when it wants to, ESPECIALLY in a 5 gallon. There is a VERY high chance the crayfish will catch the guppies, again, especially in a 5 gallon. It will work for a temporary home, but that is not a long term home for the crayfish. A 20 long is a perfect tank for it.

LyzzaRyzz 06-06-2012 09:18 PM

How long will they not eat for? Cause its been about two weeks. He seems oblivious to anything else in the tank except him marching around and climbing the air stone tube. and checking for food in the gravel.

I wont really be heart broken if he catches a guppy, thats what im buying them for! Well, more for breeding, but since im making a Molly tank, ill have fry to feed him. Its more of a "guppies are a stand in for rosies". They are prettier than rosies, and might actually give me some fry! Plus their really cheap at my lps. Just a thought, will guppies still breed if there is a predator?

I know thats 5.5g is really small for a cray, but hes only two inches right now. I am planning on upgrading him, But it has to be after i find a tank for the goldfish/koi, and now after i set up the molly tank. Not to mention im simultaneously setting up a mini african clawed frog tank.

I do 30%w/c every third day on his tank, and clean his gravel every other day.

Im kind of meticulous when it comes to cleaning gravel, and w/c's. I hate cloudy, unclean water, and poops on my substrate, and especially my bare bottomed tank, drives me crazy! Theres always a tube in my tank for quick cleanups.

Also, talking about perfect cray tanks, do you know where i could get a so called 'guppy box'? My lps has one, but they have real african dwarf frogs in it. Its about a foot and a half long, ten inches from back to front and about six inches tall. It would be perfect for my ghosties, and a larger version would be perfect for mountain.
Not to mention, rolling marimo balls. [i couldent help myself i ripped mine all up!]

jaysee 06-06-2012 09:37 PM

I'm gonna be honest, it's a little difficult to keep up with what you are doing.

They won't eat for a few days to a week maybe, and they go into hiding. So you might go a week without seeing it, but it will likely take less time. It's important that you leave the shell in the tank - they eat it to recycle nutrients.

LyzzaRyzz 06-06-2012 09:54 PM

Haha its okay, I can be confusing. =]

I have alot of projects going on at once.
I am looking for a 40-55 gallon tank for my three koi and two goldfish. They are currently in a pond in my back yard.
I have a ten gallon with a betta and ghost shrimp.
I have a 2.5 gallon with ghost shrimp fry. [13 days]
I have two 'mini' African dwarf frogs that are in their own ten gallon bare bottomed tank.
In my 5.5 gallon i have my crayfish and three rosy red minnows.
Today i bought three guppies and four mollys. They are QTing in my 14 gallon bare bottomed.
I have a 24 gallon tank that needs to be really really cleaned. The mollies will be going in there.
Theres the guppies, who ive pretty much decided will take the place of the three rosy reds from the crayfish tank.
And looking for a more suitable crayfish tank.

Not to mention trying to power grow java moss, and get the peices of my marimo ball back into circles.