Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   55g tank with slightly uneven floor (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/55g-tank-slightly-uneven-floor-103558/)

BakaMandy 06-06-2012 02:49 PM

55g tank with slightly uneven floor

Hello!

I'm setting up a 55 gallon african cichlid tank and half way through filling it, I realized the floor was slightly uneven. It's only uneven by a couple millimeters in one corner.

I have a piece of high density foam between the tank and my tank stand to help absorb the weight.

I just want to know if a couple millimeters will be a problem or if I should empty my tank and stick a wedge in there to even it out.

Thank you!

marshallsea 06-06-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BakaMandy (Post 1108181)
Hello!

I'm setting up a 55 gallon african cichlid tank and half way through filling it, I realized the floor was slightly uneven. It's only uneven by a couple millimeters in one corner.

I have a piece of high density foam between the tank and my tank stand to help absorb the weight.

I just want to know if a couple millimeters will be a problem or if I should empty my tank and stick a wedge in there to even it out.

Thank you!

you dont want to put a wedge directly under your tank, as it will put undue stress on your tank. even under the stand could cause problems depending on rigidity of your stand. an uneven tank also puts stress on your tank. 55 gals is a lot of water and stress. is your stand on uneven floor? you should try to straighten it out at the floor .

BakaMandy 06-06-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marshallsea (Post 1108189)
you dont want to put a wedge directly under your tank, as it will put undue stress on your tank. even under the stand could cause problems depending on rigidity of your stand. an uneven tank also puts stress on your tank. 55 gals is a lot of water and stress. is your stand on uneven floor? you should try to straighten it out at the floor .

It's uneven floor.

Yes, I know you're not supposed to put a wedge directly underneath the tank. I meant a wedge under the tank stand on the floor.

I did do a bit of research before posting here about it, however the cases I read about were about tanks that were obviously uneven, by about 1/4 of an inch. My tank is literally only uneven by a couple millimeters (Like 2-3 millimeters?)

I heard that high density insulation foam helps ease the stress of the weight, so I have a piece in between my tank and my tank stand, so I was wondering if a couple millimeters is still something to worry about or should I fix it?

marshallsea 06-06-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BakaMandy (Post 1108220)
It's uneven floor.

Yes, I know you're not supposed to put a wedge directly underneath the tank. I meant a wedge under the tank stand on the floor.

I did do a bit of research before posting here about it, however the cases I read about were about tanks that were obviously uneven, by about 1/4 of an inch. My tank is literally only uneven by a couple millimeters (Like 2-3 millimeters?)

I heard that high density insulation foam helps ease the stress of the weight, so I have a piece in between my tank and my tank stand, so I was wondering if a couple millimeters is still something to worry about or should I fix it?

i guess you have to make a judgment call. mine is about 1/4'' off and nothing has happened so far, but its a 20g.

AbbeysDad 06-07-2012 07:34 AM

There are very few floors that are perfectly level. I don't think I'd stress over a couple of millimeters. Any leveling that is done, of course needs to be done between the stand and the floor and any shim materials need to remain firmly in place.
In some cases, once leveling is done, it's not a bad idea, where possible, to also secure the stand to the wall.