Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   FX5 Filter, Maint questions.... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/fx5-filter-maint-questions-103465/)

Egrant 06-05-2012 10:59 AM

FX5 Filter, Maint questions....

Posted this question under the "Freshwater Aquarium" section and had one reply from a guy with a different type of filter. So here is another try.

Do you have a FX5 filter? If so how often do you break it down to clean it and what are you useing for media in it? I am asking these questions because i noticed today the flow is not near as strong as it used to be. I do not care if i hcae to clean monthly but I was expecting to only have to tear into it about once every 3 months....

I am useing it on my 125G Cichlid tank with 21 fish in the tank.

My Media;
Of course the foam on the outside of the trays.

Bottom tray = Ceramic Rings
Middle Tray = Filter Fiber (debating switch to biomax to give more good bacteria growth)
Top Tray = Chemi Pure (will be switching to purigen soon)

What do you all think? If you use Purigen how much do you use? I do not want to put too much into the filter and slow down its flow.

Tazman 06-06-2012 07:55 AM

Mine is fully loaded with biomax in all compartments with the foam on top, I think it was somewhere in the region of 1500g I used in total, cannot remember.

Depending on what substrate you have, you may need to clean it a little more often. I check my fx5 once a month as I have sand with my Cichlids, I usually do a full clean on once every 3 months depending on whether any sand has been sucked in.

With regards to flow, make sure the return lines are not too long, this can have an effect on the flow rate. I also made a DIY spray bar for mine as well.

I have 1L of purigen in my sump and it lasts forever, have only recharged it once since I got it over a year ago. I am not sure how much of it you can fit in an fx5.

Egrant 06-07-2012 08:19 PM

Taz,
Have you had any problems with small bubbles? I noticed lots of small bubbles. At first i thought it was just part of the daily purge but it has been doing it for about 2 hours now........

Anyone have this problem with an FX5?

Tazman 06-07-2012 08:27 PM

If the filter is new then check all the connections and make sure they are tight.

It could be that something is leaking air in somewhere causing the microbubbles. I did have a little bit of them when I got mine running and it was a hose that was a bit loose causing it. It might also take a bit of time to fully purge the air out of it as well.

Egrant 06-07-2012 09:13 PM

I think i fixed it. It had been running for about two months, i tore it apart to clean it this weekend. I Just shut it off and made it "re-purge". All seems well..... for now

Tazman 06-07-2012 09:38 PM

:thumbsup: