Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Top swimmers in a Malawi tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/top-swimmers-malawi-tank-103442/)

Chinxican1978 06-05-2012 01:13 AM

Top swimmers in a Malawi tank
 
Hello all,
What type of top swimmer fish do you recommend if any in a Malawi cichlid tank.
I currently have a 55 gal tank.

Thanks!!

Tazman 06-05-2012 07:52 AM

What fish do you have already?

Psedutropheus sp. Acei are about the only Africans which will swim towards the top of the aquarium.

It depends on what fish you have as to what can be added.

1077 06-05-2012 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tazman (Post 1106784)
What fish do you have already?

Psedutropheus sp. Acei are about the only Africans which will swim towards the top of the aquarium.

It depends on what fish you have as to what can be added.

Wonder if they mean dither's?
Giant danios might be considersation if this is so.They are quick enough, and would fair well in alkaline water.

Egrant 06-05-2012 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 1106790)
Wonder if they mean dither's?
Giant danios might be considersation if this is so.They are quick enough, and would fair well in alkaline water.

Danio's huh? I have been told by a few folks that giant danios in a cichlid tank would be ok. But when i asked on here i got an OVERWHELMING NO!!!! I have 8 in my 55G that i would love to move into the 125G....

The Acei's do swim around the top and are beautiful fish.

In my tank I stacked some rocks higher and it helped alot with them swimming higher up.

1077 06-05-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Egrant (Post 1106961)
Danio's huh? I have been told by a few folks that giant danios in a cichlid tank would be ok. But when i asked on here i got an OVERWHELMING NO!!!! I have 8 in my 55G that i would love to move into the 125G....

The Acei's do swim around the top and are beautiful fish.

In my tank I stacked some rocks higher and it helped alot with them swimming higher up.

Well opinion's are like Bar-B-Q sauce recipe's ,eveybody's got one.
I think water not too warm, 76 degree's ,which also helps curb agression with cichlids, and alkaline conditon's would suit them just fine.
Only real problem is for those who feed flake foods.
Not much that swim's faster at grabbing food, but sinking pellet's would help keep danio's from grabbing the lion's share.
I have kept the Giant Danios, with much larger South American cichlid's without issues.
They adapt to wide range of water parameter's and are very active which requires some room .

Chinxican1978 06-05-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tazman (Post 1106784)
What fish do you have already?

Psedutropheus sp. Acei are about the only Africans which will swim towards the top of the aquarium.

It depends on what fish you have as to what can be added.

i have a 55 gal tall.

I have
2x auratus
3x kenyi
3x yellow lab
they are all about 1 inch.
and i feed them flakes.

Thank you all for your advice.

Egrant 06-05-2012 11:35 AM

LMAO "Well opinion's are like Bar-B-Q sauce recipe's ,eveybody's got one." I will be useing that one!!

I might make the plunge and do the swap this weekend.......that will put me at 28 fish in my 125G..

Chinxican1978 06-05-2012 11:37 AM

can I put a arorwana in the tank? The aro is about 2 inches long?

Thank you again for your advice.

Egrant 06-05-2012 11:44 AM

I would say NO WAY. he will grow fast and love to have the little guys as a snack to grwo even faster. Then he will be ready for a bigger tank.

1077 06-05-2012 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Egrant (Post 1107002)
I would say NO WAY. he will grow fast and love to have the little guys as a snack to grwo even faster. Then he will be ready for a bigger tank.

+one.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2