Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Starting 10Gal SW (pics)

5K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  caferacermike 
#1 ·
Hey everyone iv started my 10 gallon SW and here are pics of what it looks like. I am currently waiting for some more money so i can buy the live rock. I ended up returning a light i previously purchased which was to small for the tank so i returned it and ended with a perfect size for my tank but still wouldnt fit right so i bought legs for it and i actually like it better above the water like it is rather then sitting almost on top of the water.
Here are the pics.

See less See more
#4 ·
Cody said:
Looks good, what do you plan on putting in there besides live rock?

i dont know yet hopefully maybe someone can give me a list of corals that are willing to be suitbale for my size.....fish wise i dont know yet really to soon to have an idea.....what kind of SW fish gor in a 10gal?

#6 ·
OT, Here is a list of nano-reef safe corals. In your tank, depending on the lighting you'll be getting, you may only be able to keep some softies:

Cabbage Leather
Chili Coral
Colt Coral
Finger Leather
Green Star Polyps (GSP)
Mushrooms
Nephthea
Pom Pom Xenia
Pulsing Xenia
Various Zoanthids

Your cuc will consist of various snails/crabs. I recommend some Astreas, Nasarrius, hermits.

The following is a list of potential inmates who can live inside smaller tanks, ranging from miniature pico-reefs to 10gs :

-Blue Neon Goby
-Catalina Goby [cold water]
-Clown Gobies
-Eviota Gobies
-Panda (Clown) Goby
-Redhead Goby
-Trimma Goby
-Yellow Neon Goby
-Citron Goby
-Green Banded Goby (added by c'est ma)
-Green Chromis Damsel
-Yellowtail blue Damsel
-Ocellaris Clownfish
-Percula Clownfish
-Yellow Assessor
-Blue Assessor
-Chalk Bass
-Lantern Bass
-Bicolor Blenny
-Tailspot Blenny (added by Steelhealr)
-Yellowtail Fang Blenny (V)
-Threadfin Cardinalfish
-Three Spot Damsel
-Talbot’s Damsel
-Three Stripe Damsel
-Firefish Goby
-Helfrich’s Firefish ($!)
-Purple Firefish Goby
-Bicolor Psuedochromis
-Diadem Pseudochromis
-Fridmani (Orchid) Pseudochromis
-Purple Pseudochromis
-Scooter Blenny [with caution, not for beginners]
-Red Scooter Blenny [with caution, not for beginners]
-Painted Frogfish
-Wartskin Frogfish
-Blackray Shrimp Goby
-Orange Stripe Goby
-Orangespotted Goby
-Randall’s Shrimp Goby
-Yasha Hasha Goby
-Wheeler’s Shrimp Goby
-Yellow Watchman Goby
-Rainfordi Goby
-Royal Gramma
-Falco Hawkfish
-Flame Hawkfish
-Pearly (Yellowhead) Jawfish
-Possum Wrasse

Good luck. :D

#8 ·
SeaSerpant said:
Wow thats a huge list lol. I can't wait to see your results with the 10g.
Yes i will keep this thread updated everytime i add something new.....this is my first SW tank.....everything is new to me :) i cant wait myself

#10 ·
i have a question: are blue tuxedo urchins easy to find?? and how big do they get?

can anyone list a few websites or where i can look up corals and species

like websites that list thsoe with specifications and such

thanks

#12 ·
Hey everyone, I have an update. I finally got live rock put in, just waiting for it to cycle now, here are some pics. What are some cool shrimps and little critters i can put inside as a cleaning crew?

In the third picture i really like the rock on the bottom right. It literally is a sphere. Its really amzing the way rocks are formed. Probbaly the best thing is picking out the rocks for your tanka dn then building it :)

#14 ·
Excellent setup, the aquascaping is fantastic, it looks great now that it's cleared.

Your clean up crew is what will be stocked first after several weeks.

10 hermits, 4 or 5 Astreas, 3 or 4 Nassarius and either a peppermint shrimp (which supposedly eat aiptasia) or a skunk cleaner, or blood shrimp. If they do well, after a week or so, you can add coral. :D

#15 ·
Dang it all, i just tested the salt levels and there is way to much salt in the water. Im gonna have to take water out and add water without the salt.

I was going to ask, what kind of fish is the oen that lives with the shrimp, they are like a tag team special, one digs and the other protects? :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.