Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Feeding Yellow Labs (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/feeding-yellow-labs-103376/)

russp 06-04-2012 11:44 AM

Feeding Yellow Labs

In my 29 gallon with three yellow labs, none of the fish come to the surface to feed so I've given up trying to use any flake foods and just give them the sinking cichlid pellets. I put in just a few grains at a time but still end up with quite a bit of uneaten food when I vacuum the tank each week. Are there any other foods I could try, perhaps some kind of blocks they might feed off of? Even freeze dried worms barely encourage them to the surface, they just wait for them to eventually sink.

Tazman 06-04-2012 07:12 PM

A lot of mine dont come to the surface either, they still eat like pigs though :-)

Dont feed them too many worms it can lead to Malawi Bloat which is nearly always fatal.

Feed them peas (deshelled), lettuce, carrots and zucchini and they will be your best friend.

russp 06-05-2012 08:09 AM

Do I need to cut the vegetables pretty small or do they manage to chew into them? The worms have been a once a week "treat" after I clean the tank.

Tazman 06-05-2012 09:05 AM

If the fish are small then yes cut them up, if not then as long as the pieces are not too much that it will create a mess when chewed it should be fine.

Remove any uneaten pieces as soon as the fish stop eating unless you have a bottom feeder who will vacuum the rest up.

Egrant 06-05-2012 11:02 AM

Will Haps and Peacocks eat this as well? I have never fed them veggies but if they like it i might just try...

Tazman 06-05-2012 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Egrant (Post 1106955)
Will Haps and Peacocks eat this as well? I have never fed them veggies but if they like it i might just try...

Yes but not as much as the mbuna will.

donnie 06-05-2012 09:43 PM

mine like fried egg whites. i give them a small nibble of mine from time to time. my black eastern seems to like them the most but my yellow female eats it to.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tazman 06-05-2012 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donnie (Post 1107603)
mine like fried egg whites. i give them a small nibble of mine from time to time. my black eastern seems to like them the most but my yellow female eats it to.
Posted via Mobile Device

Very very bad idea as it is too much protein for them to handle and can lead to health issues.

donnie 06-07-2012 05:52 AM

well was a very small amount and i dont do that but very seldom. i gave them a piece of squash one day and a small piece of a carrot another. mine seem to really like the flake food as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

1077 06-07-2012 07:14 AM

New life Spectrum food is full of veggies,fruit.
Spirulina pellet's,Spinach are also great for African's.(lot's of other's too);-)