Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Umm Moss balls? :S (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/umm-moss-balls-s-10332/)

Little-Fizz 12-27-2007 03:24 PM

Umm Moss balls? :S

Hi! Alrighty, I just got back and I have a few live plants... I got a moss ball.. My mom was pretty sure she knew what to do with it... She thought it like unraveled or something. But it's just a solid ball of moss? What do I do with it? I want to root it to a rock and a car in in tank. I'm NO good at this plant stuff. I don't have any idea where to put anything to make it look the best? Can someone PLEASE help me!!! I have Hygrophila corymbosa, Microsorum pteropus, Cardamine lyrata, Lysimachia nummularia, Hygropolyseprma, and the moss balls cladophora aegagropila. I realize one can really tell me exactly where to put the plants or anything but is there some general rules I can follow for making a really pretty planted tank? Lol it's for my mom, I like planted tanks but she would love me long time if I could make my tank look really good! THANKKSSS

fish_4_all 12-27-2007 03:38 PM

DON'T tear it apart unless you want to make smaller ones. From everyhting I have read and heard the type of ALGAE that forms the Marimo Ball does not grow on rocks or other things. Yes, I said algae. It is supposed to role around in the tank, not much more. You can tear them apart after it gets large enough and make new ones but someone will have to tell you how to do this.

These Marimo Balls are found in lakes in nature and are as they are found in the LFS. Little balls of algae that has the sole purpose of rolling around the bottom of the lake.

Little-Fizz 12-27-2007 03:51 PM

Really? Thats highly dissapointing... I suppose I could work with it... Darn. What kind of moss can I get that I can root on stuff?

Little-Fizz 12-27-2007 03:57 PM

I just decided to look it up and I found this " Cladophora aegagrophila can be divided into smaller pieces, which become spherical with time, or which form a carpet, if attached to roots and stones." Could I do this? If so how? Just break it into little balls and stick them to a rock? Sorry about all the questions. I really want to make a moss carpet thing with this. And when you say this is algae... Does that mean my snail and shrimps will eat it? Or that it will cause an algae boom?

fish_4_all 12-27-2007 07:56 PM

I have no idea if your algae eating fish will eat it. I would venture a guess it is a macro algae and not the normal stuff that grows on the glass or plants.

As for anchoring it to something, I guess you could but I have never heard of this before. The best thing to use would be some sort of really porous type of rock or some type of wood. This may allow it to "anchor" itself to the item. Do you still have the link to where you found that you can do this?

Little-Fizz 12-28-2007 12:49 AM

Umm... No, I'll go through my history and see if I can find it...

http://www.tropica.dk/productcard_1.asp?id=000C

fish_4_all 12-28-2007 01:39 AM

Well if i were to try to make it form a mat then I would use some sort of material to hold it down like plastic canvas, hairnet or other mesh type material and let it grow through. I would avoid anything metal though except for stainless steel mesh which is sometimes used for mosses and Riccia. Give it a try, who knows, maybe it will make a nice little carpet.

Little-Fizz 12-28-2007 03:34 PM

Alright, cool sounds like a good idea. Thanks a lot :)

KrisRogers 02-05-2009 09:55 AM

To make a carpet you could try plastic canvas (I think you can find it at walmart) I'm not sure on the name. what it is is a thin sheet of plastic with holes all over it (something like graph paper) you could try spreading out the moss ball and using a hair net of fish net stockings to hold the moss down. I've heard of people using java moss to make carpet and to use it to form all sorts of things like tree. etc... either way good luck and I hope to see pictures when you decide on what your doing.

Heres a link to a place that sells it for a refrence picture or to order it.
33418-1 Ultra Stiff Canvas | Crafts, Etc! ®

1077 02-05-2009 10:25 AM

I saw some plastic mat at craft store the other day . It was in needle craft section (no I ain't!)
There were several different mats with different hole sizes. Might be something to look at?:-)