Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Crayfish is my main concern...?? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/crayfish-my-main-concern-103236/)

FLTekDiver81 06-03-2012 01:15 AM

Crayfish is my main concern...??

So I am definitely a novice when it comes to aquariums. So please, be gentle on the criticism. Let me also say, that I have also read tons of these threads on "what to do", and i get even more confused. Every answer seems to open another question, which may be what is so intoxicating about it? This is an exciting and involved hobby, but for the beginner, can be utterly DAUNTING! I will totally accept links to threads that may help, but please, don't roll the "read the beginner tank thread noob!" Heres what id like to have:

I have a 29 gallon that i would like my crayfish (large, and i mean LARGE, hes in my pics) to live in as well as species that would be compatible. He is very temperamental of the other fish, even though he is well over twice their size. Suggestions on substrate, sand vs gravel? I know live plants aren't a go bc he will eat them. He is currently in a 5.5gal with a pleco and dwarf Gourami.

The big tank is not even wet yet, so id like advice on best cycle method (I was thinking a fishless shrimp, with a seeded "bacteria in a bottle method"??), species to board with, and any other helpful suggestions.
I am prepared to hear that he should stay in his own tank, but it would really be nice if i could put him in the big tank.
My Dwarf Gourami and Pleco have lived with him in his tiny little tank thus far and have been doing well.

IF...
there are no alternatives, and he should be left in his own tank, I still need help on setting up my 29. Again, help on advice for substrate and cycling method would be most helpful. I would like to have sand and live plants, and what cycle would be best. I have not chosen species to be in the tank yet (I know, dont yell at me) but this freshwater tank stuff has morphed from a simple "fish for my kids to look at", to an obsession of mine, and an absolute information OVERLOAD!

HELP!! I HATE sounding like a noob, but i cant read one more conflicting forum website where all the advice contradicts one another!!

:dunno:

jaysee 06-03-2012 06:03 AM

Welcome to the forum

There are very few things in fish keeping that are set in stone. The nitrogen cycle is one, but aside from that it's a hobby, so you are going to hear a different opinion from everyone you ask. What makes things worse is that there is no shortage of people giving advice about things they have no experience with. Plus, for those with experience, it's a matter of circumstance - someone who keeps a fish in too small of a tank, or in too small of a school, is going to have a different experience that someone who keeps the same fish in a larger tank, in a larger school. That's why it's important to pay attention to the specifics - they usually indicate where the person is coming from. Someone who's always kept a fish in a small tank will advise others to do so, because to them it's fine, but they don't know what they don't know. There are usually a lot of commonalities, or overlaps, and that's what you have to look for. If you have a setup similar to someone else, then there's a good chance you'll have a similar experience.

I have to go to work and don't have time to address your questions, but I hope this helps you to start sorting out the massive amount of information out there.

FLTekDiver81 06-03-2012 07:01 AM

Thanks Jay. In a way it does, I definitely have found that everyone has their own opinion for sure, and thats what brings me back to my topic, of so much scattered information. What DOES make me feel better, is that this is indeed a hobby, and, like you said," nothing is set in stone" so to speak, its gonna take some trial and error on my part. Thanks alot for the quick reply, and i welcome any tips and advice you have when you have the time. Thanks again!

:thumbsup: