Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Has anyone had success….. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/has-anyone-had-success-103206/)

Stonesy 06-02-2012 07:09 PM

Has anyone had success…..
 
…..curing a fish with dropsy and how? I was just studying the disease information. Some of these diseases have salt as a cure but not how to administer and then goes on to indicate it's not really effective. Would just like to know who out there has actually been successful curing fish with dropsy or even cauliflower head?

Termato 06-02-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stonesy (Post 1104254)
…..curing a fish with dropsy and how? I was just studying the disease information. Some of these diseases have salt as a cure but not how to administer and then goes on to indicate it's not really effective. Would just like to know who out there has actually been successful curing fish with dropsy or even cauliflower head?

Have you checked all water parameters? Make sure the water is clean.

What kind of fish is this in what size tank? What other fish are in the tank? Are the other fish sick?

Stonesy 06-02-2012 07:16 PM

…so sorry about cauliflower "head", I meant cauliflower disease, lymphocystis.

Thanks, Stonesy

Stonesy 06-02-2012 07:48 PM

Everything is finally stable in both of my tanks now, I do 50% to 60% water changes twice a week. I was asking because I don't recall reading about a successful save. I appreciate and do believe the best cure and preventative is clean water, I was just interested to know of a success story.

Termato 06-02-2012 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stonesy (Post 1104295)
Everything is finally stable in both of my tanks now, I do 50% to 60% water changes twice a week. I was asking because I don't recall reading about a successful save. I appreciate and do believe the best cure and preventative is clean water, I was just interested to know of a success story.

I have saved two fish from Dropsy.

Stonesy 06-02-2012 09:12 PM

Great, how? Did you put it in a qt and just do water changes? I've had good results with frequent water changes for ill fish. I really am just interested, trying to educate myself and teach my daughter.

Termato 06-03-2012 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stonesy (Post 1104382)
Great, how? Did you put it in a qt and just do water changes? I've had good results with frequent water changes for ill fish. I really am just interested, trying to educate myself and teach my daughter.

Yes, If you an quarantine them. The Dropsy is not really contagious but it is best for the fish as they will have reduced stress.

The first fish that had it got better i about 3-4 days. He wasn't too well after that as his stomach was skinny and he never ate properly again.

The second fish got better the next day. He has been eating fine and is back in full stride.

The quicker you catch it the better. Is your fish fully bloated?

marshallsea 06-03-2012 10:08 AM

i think dropsy can usually be traced back to water quality. regular water changes can keep it away.

Stonesy 06-03-2012 10:25 AM

I don't have any sick fish, although in the past I remember a fish with these symptoms, I'm only trying to learn symptoms and and diseases. I want to stay ahead of the game and be a little knowledgeable instead of having no idea of what's going on. I'm also trying to help my daughter and her tank, her computer is dead and does not access to all of y'alls experience and expertise.

Fishpunk 06-03-2012 05:24 PM

First, dropsy is not a disease, it is a symptom of something else. It is caused by a buildup of fluids inside the fish's body. Sometimes it can be due to constipation, as in betta bloating, other times, it can be due to bacerial infection or parasites. It is really necessary to try to understand why the fish is experiencing dropsy.

Second, the recommended procedure is to quarantine the fish and keep it in pristine water. Most fish with dropsy symptoms will die, but you might get lucky. I have recovered one fish with dropsy symptoms, but it had other issues and died from complications of a prolapsed colon a few months later.

Third, it's very easy to snag pineconed scales, and you can tear a hole in the fish's skin. Try to capture the fish in a dip'n'pour instead of a net if possible.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2