Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Does anyone else sort thier gravel? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/does-anyone-else-sort-thier-gravel-103069/)

LyzzaRyzz 05-31-2012 11:39 PM

Does anyone else sort thier gravel?

Because, I do.
And my boyfriend thinks im nuts.

But it makes sense to me! You want a certain color scheme, and youve got two different types of gravel with four colors, and you only want two, you sort...

I also do have a lot of time on my hands.

Boredomb 05-31-2012 11:48 PM

Wow that's a lot of sorting. No I don't sort the gravel I use. You are definitely more patient and determine to get that right color going. Gotta give props on that one.

thekoimaiden 05-31-2012 11:58 PM

I did that with my large rocks for my goldfish tank, but then again, I was only sorting 30 to 50 rocks. I can't imagine doing that with the pea-sized gravel. But I do like the mottled, natural look.

jaysee 06-01-2012 12:05 AM

Idol hands..... ;)

Eddie1KRR 06-01-2012 12:39 AM

LOL!
I wish I had, because now I am sinking the ones to the bottom of the pile that I don't care for.
Every time I have to vacuum, I'm always pushing the ones I don't like to the bottom.

LyzzaRyzz 06-01-2012 01:42 AM

Lol Idle Hands!

I definitely know the natural mottled look, but i happen to have some gravel thats black and rainbow colors. And one thats aqua and light teal. And another that is red and lime green. And after a while, natural ends up in all of them. I also have a jar for mixed gravel, which is my emergency gravel.

Ive been using my natural colors, because i have a betta, and hes purple, so he stands out more. Then i got ghosties, so i needed a darker color, so i started sorting. now i have a crayfish, natural colors, so shell look best with white substrate. and i cant be going out and buying new colors! not when i already have em!

its usually my rainy day or cant go top sleep chore.

Romad 06-01-2012 06:47 AM

My bf bought me a used 45 gallon hex. off of Craigslist that had natural colored gravel with bright blue gravel mixed in (ugh).

We had a "pick the blue gravel out and discard" afternoon at the kitchen table shortly afterwards :)

LyzzaRyzz 06-01-2012 10:33 PM

Some people just have no fashion tank sense. lol
Im searching craigslist now for unwanted gravel and plants, cause i have the time to sort, and make old look great again.
I do it while i watch tv, a handful at a time. Eventually it gets done, and i get to redecorate my tanks!

jaysee 06-02-2012 06:09 AM

Your crayfish will help you sort...though not necessarily with the same system you have ;)

AbbeysDad 06-02-2012 06:23 AM

Maybe you need to get out more? Find a good book to read? Clean (really clean) the place up? Help clean out my spare room, basement and/or garage?

LOL

I like the look of natural colored gravel or sand so I've never sorted gravel. I have spent a fair amount of time cleaning sand.