Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Catfish For 30 Gallon Long (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/catfish-30-gallon-long-103024/)

emeraldsky 05-31-2012 06:07 PM

Catfish For 30 Gallon Long

Im hoping to stock my 30 gallon breeder with a catfish or 2.
Dimensions: 36" L x 18" D x 12" High

Originally I had asked about Pictus catfish but my tank was deemed too short for them c:

So I was wondering if there were other types of catfish similar to Pictus, like body shape and activity level but more suited to my tank. Im hoping to make this a specimen tank so I only want 1 or 2 catfish unless a group is needed. I've been looking around and havent really found anything.

Im not looking for Otocinclus, Corydoras, or Plecos. Mostly because I have/have had Otos and corys and a single pleco in a tank would seem dull :P

My tank is not set up yet so Im looking for ideas right now. I want to know what to stock before setting up so I can scape the tank to match the fish ^^

Quantum 05-31-2012 07:39 PM

I haven't kept them personally, but Synodontis nigriventris might be an option, the profile here doesn't mention tank size, but Synodontis nigriventris (Upside-down Catfish) — Seriously Fish says 30″ x 12″ x 12″ is big enough for a small group of three or four

emeraldsky 05-31-2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quantum (Post 1101941)
I haven't kept them personally, but Synodontis nigriventris might be an option, the profile here doesn't mention tank size, but Synodontis nigriventris (Upside-down Catfish) — Seriously Fish says 30″ x 12″ x 12″ is big enough for a small group of three or four

Ill look into them, thank you ^^

krish 06-04-2012 11:47 PM

you could also try b/n plecos (bristlenose plecos). I've had great experience with them. They are dwarf catfish, and you should be able to keep about a pair in a 30 long. However, you will need a much bigger tank for two males. You could go with 2 females or one of each sex. They will readily breed in a community aquarium, provided they have a safe place to keep their young. Look into it :)

Happy fishkeeping,
krish

krish 06-04-2012 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krish (Post 1106615)
you could also try b/n plecos (bristlenose plecos). I've had great experience with them. They are dwarf catfish, and you should be able to keep about a pair in a 30 long. However, you will need a much bigger tank for two males. You could go with 2 females or one of each sex. They will readily breed in a community aquarium, provided they have a safe place to keep their young. Look into it :)

Happy fishkeeping,
krish

so sorry, i hadn't read your original post clearly enough. :-? I dont know how to delete this post, but pay no attention to me . sorry..

Olympia 06-05-2012 06:42 AM

South American, or African bumblebee catfish? :3 They are quite similar.
October 2000 • Cat-eLog • PlanetCatfish
May 2003 • Cat-eLog • PlanetCatfish
Posted via Mobile Device

emeraldsky 06-05-2012 12:39 PM

Thank you all, I've decided to make this tank into a paludarium so catfish wont work anymore ;)