Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Nano Reef (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/nano-reef/)
-   -   Nano tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/nano-reef/nano-tank-102956/)

Tigris 05-30-2012 08:12 PM

Nano tank

Found this and was thinking about making one for myself....anything you all think that should be added?

How to setup and build a self contained Saltwater Aquarium with built in Refuge

Also I do not understand the powerheads...anyone help with that?

Reefing Madness 05-30-2012 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigris (Post 1101047)
Found this and was thinking about making one for myself....anything you all think that should be added?

How to setup and build a self contained Saltwater Aquarium with built in Refuge

Also I do not understand the powerheads...anyone help with that?

Yea its doable. I don't suggest putting an Anemone in a tank thats already to small, and then cut by 1/4 though. Buts yes, he's got a good set up there.
The powerheads. One he has hidden in the fuge he has made, it sits out of sight, and pumps water out of the of fuge area into the DT So it basically circulates the water from the DT through the Fuge then out again.. The other powerhead is for water movement in the DT. (Display Tank)

Tigris 05-30-2012 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reefing Madness (Post 1101061)
Yea its doable. I don't suggest putting an Anemone in a tank thats already to small, and then cut by 1/4 though. Buts yes, he's got a good set up there.
The powerheads. One he has hidden in the fuge he has made, it sits out of sight, and pumps water out of the of fuge area into the DT So it basically circulates the water from the DT through the Fuge then out again.. The other powerhead is for water movement in the DT. (Display Tank)

Thanks for the help, specifically I was wondering is the powerhead in the fuge inserted into the hole drilled in the plastic or is it just pushing water through it?

What can I keep in the tank? Right now I am partial to clownfish, the original ones and the black and white ones, and Mandarin gobies....

Would a small anemone work?

Reefing Madness 05-30-2012 09:25 PM

The powerhead, the outlet of the powerhead would shoot water through the hole. Or the head would stick in that hole and whoot the water out. Either way.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/a....cfm?c=15+2124

Clown Fish, the ones you are wanting to keep require a 20g tank minimum. Most would keep them in a 10g tank, and if keeping just one, I would go along with it. But your making a tank, and cutting 1/4 of it out. Now if you consider rock and substrate, your not looking at much of a tank for a fish. As for Anemones, teh Maxi Mini Anemone would be the only one close to you being able to keep in a tank that small, and again, I would not do it because of the reasons already given. A 10g tank, turned into a 4g tank once the rock and substrate has been placed. Tank isn't big enough.

Tigris 05-30-2012 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reefing Madness (Post 1101122)
The powerhead, the outlet of the powerhead would shoot water through the hole. Or the head would stick in that hole and whoot the water out. Either way.

Nano Fish

Clown Fish, the ones you are wanting to keep require a 20g tank minimum. Most would keep them in a 10g tank, and if keeping just one, I would go along with it. But your making a tank, and cutting 1/4 of it out. Now if you consider rock and substrate, your not looking at much of a tank for a fish. As for Anemones, teh Maxi Mini Anemone would be the only one close to you being able to keep in a tank that small, and again, I would not do it because of the reasons already given. A 10g tank, turned into a 4g tank once the rock and substrate has been placed. Tank isn't big enough.

Would it be possible to keep a clownfish if I uped the tank size to a 15g? An would anything extra need to be put in?

Reefing Madness 05-30-2012 11:14 PM

Possible with the 15g. Nothing else would be needed, if your going with that set-up. It is a quite good idea, it just makes the tank really small.

Tigris 06-03-2012 06:03 PM

I've bought a Fluval 6 gallon for a tank, I need something small and self contained so this is probably the biggest I can go so...what now?

I know I need to change out the lighting but IDK how and I would like to know what I can put in there?

I am a complete newb to SW

Reefing Madness 06-03-2012 06:57 PM

You want to know what to put in that tank after you do the self contained part of it? No fish. Shrimp, hermits, snails. Possibly some Zoas for corals, Kenya Trees. What kind of lighting are you planning on putting in there?

Tigris 06-03-2012 07:44 PM

Is it really worth it then if it can't hold a fish?

Reefing Madness 06-03-2012 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigris (Post 1105366)
Is it really worth it then if it can't hold a fish?

Not to me it isn't. Some just want Inverts and Corals though.