Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Filter media (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/filter-media-10295/)

southafrica1001 12-26-2007 12:21 AM

Filter media

Yes i got the best christmas surprise a 29 gallon tank which i thought would take ages to save up for lol :D :D so now i am going to get a canister filter which i planned on getting, but what should i put inside i think it has 2 or 3 layers. i want to put bio balls. so what should i put in the canister filer? (what filter media) and where should they go? (in which compatment) thanks :D

herefishy 12-26-2007 12:18 PM

Don't put the cart ahead of the horse here. It all depends upon which canister filter you get. Some are too small to use bio-balls. You may have to use bio-stars or ceramic rings. I can't tell you alot without knowing the manufacturer.

Fast351 12-26-2007 12:22 PM

I have a Rena filter, which has multiple stacked compartments. They recommend the following order (which I would think should work for any canister filter):

Mechanical > Biological > Chemical > Polishing

I don't have any carbon (chemical) filtration in mine, so my stackup looks like this:

Black foam mechanical filtration > BioStars > Microfilter mechanical polishing filter

I plan on adding ceramic rings as well, since I have some open space in my middle tray, and if I ever need carbon, I'll put it in the top tray right under the microfilter (Rena filters from bottom to top).

-Mike

southafrica1001 12-26-2007 11:07 PM

thanks for your help but the canister filter came already with media in mini bio balls sponges and the only thing that i am worried about is the carbon mixed with another material

Oldman47 12-27-2007 08:13 AM

If the carbon is mixed with white granular stuff it is probably an ammonia absorbing material. Theoretically, like fast351 said, you don't need the carbon or the ammonia absorbant in an established tank but they should not hurt anything.

southafrica1001 12-27-2007 08:27 AM

yea thanks thats exactly what it looks like but can i leave a layer open?

Little-Fizz 12-27-2007 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southafrica1001
yea thanks thats exactly what it looks like but can i leave a layer open?

I'm not sure what you mean by this... But you need to cycle your tank right? When I cycled my tank I didn't have anything in the filter, I only put the media in when I put the fish in. But on the other post when were talking about all this carbon stuff... If you don't want to use carbon... And after reading the hole in the head thing I'm not using carbon anymore other then to remove meds. Then you can just cut a little hole and empty out the carbon then you can reuse that media for as long as you want.

southafrica1001 12-27-2007 09:15 AM

well my filter media came with the filter so i have added it whil im cycling it shouldnt i do that?

Little-Fizz 12-27-2007 09:22 AM

Mine did too. I don't know I guess you could use it? But the idea is to build up all the good bacteria in your filter right? I'm not sure but this makes sense to me. If your media is taking out the ammonia then it might take longer for the bacteria to build up because they eat the ammonia and if a lot of it it being removed then what are they feeding on? Probably not a lot. Thats my theory. You could use the carbon too but from now on I don't think I'm going to condone the use of carbon unless it is to remove medication.

southafrica1001 12-27-2007 11:08 AM

yea i think ill change to floss or another type of media thanks for your help. (oh and sorry i am unclear lol i try to explain stuff but usually miss things out cuse i forget people cant read my mind :oops: )