Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Stocking a 30 Gallon Long (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/stocking-30-gallon-long-102930/)

emeraldsky 05-30-2012 04:37 PM

Stocking a 30 Gallon Long

Dimensions: 36" L x 18" D x 12" High

Wanted to double check my stocking plans with you guys and make sure what I wanted wasn't something horrifically bad :P

My tank isnt set up yet so I have time to figure out what I want (Setting it up tonight hopefully and starting the cycle!). Tank will be sparsely-moderately planted/decorated to give more swimming room.

My water is hard, around 8 pH

Stocking Idea:
5: Pictus Catfish
6: Green Tiger Barbs
Oodles of Ghost Shrimp (Yes, I know some will be chomped on)
Possibly my mystery snail though I dont know if the pictus will pick at him

Sounds good?

I really like the pictus and from what Ive found, they'll be ok in my tank. I know Tigers are nippy but pictus are active and my group of tigers should hopefully be big enough to curb aggression.

Aqadvisor also deemed it ok, but it also said a Jack Dempsey would be ok in this tank along with my pictus so I wanted to double check ;)

Im also open to ideas, I'd love having a specimen tank of a single larger fish if this wont work. Possibly an eel or something crazy like that, I like oddball tanks c:

Byron 05-30-2012 07:26 PM

Have you read our profiles of the intended fish? Click the shaded names, Pictus Catfish, Tiger Barb. There are some issues.

emeraldsky 05-30-2012 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1100985)
Have you read our profiles of the intended fish? Click the shaded names, Pictus Catfish, Tiger Barb. There are some issues.

Thank you for answering ^^

Ah I see, it even specifically says not to put Pictus in with nippy fish like barbs ^^;

It also says that they like acidic water, though the fish at my LFS have been raised in harder water so would that be a problem or would the fish have adapted to the hard water since theyve been raised in it?

Also, would having just the pictus by themselves be ok in a 30 breeder? Even though its shorter than whats recommended, they would have the tank to themselves.

Or are Pictus just not something I can get?

Byron 05-31-2012 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emeraldsky (Post 1101174)
Thank you for answering ^^

Ah I see, it even specifically says not to put Pictus in with nippy fish like barbs ^^;

It also says that they like acidic water, though the fish at my LFS have been raised in harder water so would that be a problem or would the fish have adapted to the hard water since theyve been raised in it?

Also, would having just the pictus by themselves be ok in a 30 breeder? Even though its shorter than whats recommended, they would have the tank to themselves.

Or are Pictus just not something I can get?

I would not have Pictus in anything less than 4-feet, as they are better [= less stressed, thus healthier] in a small group and that takes space.

A group of 12-15 or so of the barb would fill the tank nicely, you could even mix the Green TB with the common TB, being the same species. Substrate fish that are smaller than the Pictus, and able to handle the GH, would be fine.

On the issue of adapting to different GH and pH, this depends partly on the species (not sure if you meant the Pictus or the barb) but there are limits. And one must never forget that "adapting" has a price, the fish will be working harder and thus more prone to issues than if they are kept in their preferred environment. My article on stress in the Freshwater Articles section details this more if you're interested.

Byron.

emeraldsky 05-31-2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1101419)
I would not have Pictus in anything less than 4-feet, as they are better [= less stressed, thus healthier] in a small group and that takes space.

A group of 12-15 or so of the barb would fill the tank nicely, you could even mix the Green TB with the common TB, being the same species. Substrate fish that are smaller than the Pictus, and able to handle the GH, would be fine.

On the issue of adapting to different GH and pH, this depends partly on the species (not sure if you meant the Pictus or the barb) but there are limits. And one must never forget that "adapting" has a price, the fish will be working harder and thus more prone to issues than if they are kept in their preferred environment. My article on stress in the Freshwater Articles section details this more if you're interested.

Byron.

Looks like I'll be holding off on the Pictus then until I get a bigger tank. I do like Tiger Barbs a lot, but I'm not sure I want those as my only schooling fish. Im still really fond of just having 1 or 2 larger fish.

So looks like more research for me, goldfish are always nice, maybe Ill have 2 of those in my tank c: