Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Step in Setting up my 125Gal (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/step-setting-up-my-125gal-102891/)

CinBos 05-30-2012 09:30 AM

Step in Setting up my 125Gal

6 Attachment(s)
While reading some other post, I came up with the idea of creating a thread where I would explain the process in setting up my aquarium. I searched through the many pictures I have and found ones that best showed the process and where I wanted to go with my tank. So here it is:

This is where it all started. I had a 125gal before I bought this one, but the only thing was that the seak were practically falling off. Sold the tank for $125, and put the money towards a brand new one. This is what you see here. The stand is made of 4x4 and 2x4, with haf inch plywood. Painted the whole thing a gloss black and with a clear protectant coat. Here I am do a leak test, risky considering I was doing this inside. Had no garage or porch area to do outside, oh well, all went well.
Attachment 56103

Now I have added the pool filter sand, and about half of the rocks I had available. Added fake plants, heaters, canister, and circulation fan. The background looks amazing doesnt it? But really, I wanted to go with a black background, just hadnt purchased it yet.
Attachment 56104

Finally added the black background, looks a ton better now! This is about a couple weeks from the previous picture. As you can tell, I have added a couple Giant Danios at this point.
Attachment 56105

As you can tell from the next few pictures, I tried going the planted route, 90% are live plants. Here I had added more fish as well. I also did some different aquascaping and added more of the rocks I had available. I also added a pretty neat fake driftwood centerpiece. I did not want even the smalled staining, so I did not go the real driftwood route. I have added a bit more of the fish that I had planned on having, South/Central American Cichlids.
Attachment 56106
Attachment 56107

Now here is where I am pretty much at. I have now removed most of the real plants. After doing a bit more research, I came to realize that live plants would not have done well with my setup. The cichlids would have torn them all up, or have dug them up. I kepted the anubias, java moss, moss balls, and 1 amazon sword, sold the rest to a fellow fish keeper. Here I also added a container of salt to help with slim coats, etc. Because the plants in my tank now are low lights, I changed the lighting to colormax by aqueon. I digged the lower light and color enhancing affect it had on the fish. Here I also add another filtration system, just a standard HOB to go along with my Marineland C-530 canister.
Attachment 56108

CinBos 05-30-2012 09:56 AM

I will also add a more up to date picture, where I have made other changes. I have changed all lighting to T-8 Colormax by Aqueon. I have added a few more fish, and I have also added 1 more Anubias plant.

Sanguinefox 05-30-2012 10:27 AM

That tank looks beautiful. I"m so jelly :3

CinBos 05-30-2012 08:18 PM

Appreciate it. I keep going back in forth with it, but I think I am finally settling down with it.
Posted via Mobile Device