Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   30 Gallon Tank Fish Ideas (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/30-gallon-tank-fish-ideas-10287/)

Cody 12-25-2007 08:58 PM

30 Gallon Tank Fish Ideas

I am going to be getting a 30gallon tank sometime over the course of the next few months, and I need ideas for fish. Here are some ideas I have thought of.

(What I want):
-1 albino bristlenosed pleco
-5 Tiger/Cherry Barbs
-Corys
-Angels?
-Peacock Eel?
-2 or 3 Dwarf Gouramis (Sp?)
-Endler's Liverbearers

I know I can't probably fit all of these into one tank, but those are my ideas for what I want.

(What I would be willing to add):
-Danios
-Tetras
-Platys
-Guppies
-Otos
-Any other fish (Suggestions please?)

I will take any suggestions.[/code]

rustyness 12-25-2007 10:15 PM

i think dwarf gouramis and corys would be nice. that's what i want when i can upgrade in the future, not sure what else tho.

Little-Fizz 12-25-2007 10:27 PM

Yay!!! I want endlers livebearers in my tank too! I'm not sure but I think you'll have to worry about nipping if you have the tiger barbs with the angels... Again not too sure.

Cody 12-25-2007 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little-Fizz
Yay!!! I want endlers livebearers in my tank too! I'm not sure but I think you'll have to worry about nipping if you have the tiger barbs with the angels... Again not too sure.

What about Cherry barbs with angels?

Lupin 12-25-2007 11:22 PM

My suggestion:
Ditch the peacock eel and angelfish. Both will eventually become a menace to smaller tankmates. The rest are fine but I would ditch the tiger barbs and put pentazona barbs as your alternatives to cherry barbs.

Unless you can find female dwarf gouramis, stick with only one or switch to other alternatives such as honey gouramis, sparkling gouramis and pearl gouramis. I wouldn't advise adding guppies with gouramis. Chances are the guppies will be severely harassed. I've witnessed this myself after trying out both guppies and sparkling gouramis. Risky business and should not be tried.

Cody 12-25-2007 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin
My suggestion:
Ditch the peacock eel and angelfish. Both will eventually become a menace to smaller tankmates. The rest are fine but I would ditch the tiger barbs and put pentazona barbs as your alternatives to cherry barbs.

Unless you can find female dwarf gouramis, stick with only one or switch to other alternatives such as honey gouramis, sparkling gouramis and pearl gouramis. I wouldn't advise adding guppies with gouramis. Chances are the guppies will be severely harassed. I've witnessed this myself after trying out both guppies and sparkling gouramis. Risky business and should not be tried.

Thanks. This is what will probably get so far.

-1 Albino Bristlenosed Pleco.
-6 or 7 Cherry Barbs/Pentazona Barbs/Tiger Barbs.

Would a Red-Tailed Shark work with these at all?

I need more ideas. Lupin, I like the ideas for the gouramis.

What would you suggest for this now?

Lupin 12-25-2007 11:35 PM

Looks good.

You still have space for corydoras or a Sturisoma pleco. You could try pairing up your BN instead and who knows they could breed in your tank.

Give sparkling gouramis a try but be sure to plant your tank heavily because these are extremely shy fish. Croaking gouramis are also nice to add. 6 sparkling or croaking gouramis are fine or choose a pair of pearl gouramis or two pairs of honey gouramis.

As for mid level, harlequin or hengeli rasboras fit well. Maybe green fire tetras, green neon tetras, diamond tetras, kerri tetras, flame tetras, black neon tetras, neons, cardinals, emperor or rummies.

Cody 12-25-2007 11:37 PM

Quote:

Looks good.

You still have space for corydoras or a Sturisoma pleco. You could try pairing up your BN instead and who knows they could breed in your tank.

Give sparkling gouramis a try but be sure to plant your tank heavily because these are extremely shy fish. Croaking gouramis are also nice to add. 6 sparkling or croaking gouramis are fine or choose a pair of pearl gouramis or two pairs of honey gouramis.

As for mid level, harlequin or hengeli rasboras fit well. Maybe green fire tetras, green neon tetras, diamond tetras, kerri tetras, flame tetras, black neon tetras, neons, cardinals, emperor or rummies.

I have always liked Tetras, glad they could be possibly be in this. :)

Would a Red-Tailed Shark be able to fit in with barbs and the pleco? I know they really cannot be placed with smaller fish, but it is just a thought.

Lupin 12-25-2007 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cody
Would a Red-Tailed Shark be able to fit in with barbs and the pleco? I know they really cannot be placed with smaller fish, but it is just a thought.

Ah no.:)

Cody 12-26-2007 12:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cody

Ah no.:)

Thought so. :P

I like the Honey Gouramis.

So..my list.

-1 Albino BN Pleco
-6 or 7 Cherry Barbs/Pentazona Barbs/Tiger Barbs (Most likely not the Tigers).
-2 Honey Gouramis? (4 if I have enough space.)
-Some sort of Tetra that isnt the plain Neon (Like 4 or 5).