Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Drift wood/any wood in aquariums... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/drift-wood-any-wood-aquariums-102838/)

LyzzaRyzz 05-29-2012 05:54 PM

Drift wood/any wood in aquariums...

I recently got a crayfish, and am setting up his tank.

I'm unsure of how to go about his driftwood piece. I've already boiled it, and it floated the whole time. How do I make sure it is clean, and how do I make it sink?

Can I use any wood? Obviously not pressure treated, but natural wood?

Olympia 05-29-2012 06:04 PM

I would not use any soft woods, eg pines, spruces, birch... The pines contain things you wouldn't want in your water.
What sort of wood are you using? And where did you get it?
Oak I know is fine.. The ones the stores sell, manzanita, mopani, malaysian, are all great. Darker stuff is great. I would stay away from grape wood however as it is more prone to getting fuzzy underwater.

LyzzaRyzz 05-29-2012 06:58 PM

I got it from my lps, i cant seem to upload any pictures, but i am trying to find a picture online of what it looks like. I seem to be a harder time than i thought!

Well, my lps has a section for wood of all kinds, which they use for reptiles, hermit crabs, thier birds, and im assuming their aquariums. Thats where the owner of the store told me to go. Although, the owner of the store often doesnt know what i mean, or is just being a grumpy old man. I usually talk to my friend, his granddaughter, who happened to not be there when i went. So i maqy have bought the wrong kind of wood!

Ill keep looking for that picture!

LyzzaRyzz 05-29-2012 07:13 PM

The wood I got looks a bit like this, but with bark on it.
T-Rex Crab Island™ Climbing Accessories - Reptile - Sale - PetSmart
The bark looks like this..
Zoo Med Natural Cork Rounds - Habitat Décor - Reptile - PetSmart

Ugh, Im going to try to just upload my picture again...

LyzzaRyzz 05-29-2012 07:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Yess! I believe i figured out how to post pictures! Please tell me if you can see them!

Olympia 05-29-2012 07:56 PM

Looks like reptile wood. Not sure if it's aquarium safe.. :/
Did it leech brown when you boiled it?
Posted via Mobile Device

LyzzaRyzz 05-29-2012 08:01 PM

Yep. Thats tannins right?

Olympia 05-29-2012 08:12 PM

Indeed.
I'm not sure but reptile woods may be treated with something.
Did the it have some sort of brand you could look up online?
Posted via Mobile Device

LyzzaRyzz 05-29-2012 11:33 PM

Actually, no. Its just a wooden box full of different shaped woods and branches...i can call and try to see. is there a way to get the chemicals out? Can i just boil it a bunch more times?

And when you boil, how long? My wood got kind of soft after i did it...

Sanguinefox 05-30-2012 11:14 AM

If this is wood for reptiles chances are you don't want to use it for an aquarium. Those things get treated so as to not harbor things that are bad for reptiles.