Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   snail question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/snail-question-102773/)

marshallsea 05-28-2012 11:35 PM

snail question

Is there a snail that doesnt eat plants and is not asexual?

jaysee 05-28-2012 11:42 PM

nerites are plant safe, I'm pretty sure.

marshallsea 05-28-2012 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysee (Post 1098900)
nerites are plant safe, I'm pretty sure.

thank you, ill check them out.

Chesh 05-28-2012 11:50 PM

Yup! Nerite Snails are safe. Mine has never touched a plant! They aren't asexual, and even if you have a male and a female, they need brackish water to breed. . . you should be safe there. My Mystery snail (Pomacea Bridgessii) is also plant-safe and can only mate in pairs (though if they're absolutley starving to death they might eat plants) - but these are easily confused with other similar-looking snails that do like to nom on greenery, so be sure to do your homework if you go that route. They're more fun than the Nerites to watch, and more active in general (in my tank, anyway). They will clean the plants for you, and eat off any dying bits - but will leave the healthy part entirely alone.

marshallsea 05-29-2012 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chesherca (Post 1098908)
Yup! Nerite Snails are safe. Mine has never touched a plant! They aren't asexual, and even if you have a male and a female, they need brackish water to breed. . . you should be safe there. My Mystery snail (Pomacea Bridgessii) is also plant-safe and can only mate in pairs (though if they're absolutley starving to death they might eat plants) - but these are easily confused with other similar-looking snails that do like to nom on greenery, so be sure to do your homework if you go that route. They're more fun than the Nerites to watch, and more active in general (in my tank, anyway). They will clean the plants for you, and eat off any dying bits - but will leave the healthy part entirely alone.

thank you, can you get them at lfs?

Chesh 05-29-2012 12:22 AM

Yes. Both of these are very commonly available and fairly inexpensive. Mystery snails (around here) are often called Apple snails, as well. These are easy to find in large chain stores like PetSmart, there are yellow, black, white, and blue varieties (possibly more!).

Though they come in many color types, I usually see Zebra Nerites in the shops. . . they're pretty snails, but you won't see much action out of them. They're more like ninjas - they move around, but you rarely see them moving. They don't hide, but they're hard to spot sometimes. Often (especially when new to a tank) Nerites will hang out ABOVE the water line - they're okay out of water for periods of time, and will take advantage of that sometimes, so be sure your lid has no escape routes!

marshallsea 05-29-2012 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chesherca (Post 1098954)
Yes. Both of these are very commonly available and fairly inexpensive. Mystery snails (around here) are often called Apple snails, as well. These are easy to find in large chain stores like PetSmart, there are yellow, black, white, and blue varieties (possibly more!).

Though they come in many color types, I usually see Zebra Nerites in the shops. . . they're pretty snails, but you won't see much action out of them. They're more like ninjas - they move around, but you rarely see them moving. They don't hide, but they're hard to spot sometimes. Often (especially when new to a tank) Nerites will hang out ABOVE the water line - they're okay out of water for periods of time, and will take advantage of that sometimes, so be sure your lid has no escape routes!

my wife would kill me if snails got out! thank you.