Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   New guppies + new fry! (Vid) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/new-guppies-new-fry-vid-102719/)

Geoffrey 05-28-2012 02:52 PM

New guppies + new fry! (Vid)

The other day I noticed my male guppies were stressing everyone else out, mainly because there was only 2 females and 2 males.
So I decided to go to the pet store and pick up a few more females to balance out the tank. Big sale going on so I picked up 3 females and a small fry trap just because. Little did I know I was going to need the fry trap very soon!
After adding the new fish I noticed one of them was very pregnant and acting close to birth, so I added her to the fry trap. An hour or two later I checked and she had started plopping them out! I let her do her thing for around 8-9 hours and ended up with 20-30 healthy fry!
Surprise!
Question for someone: How long can I let the fry grow in the trap? I'll be looking for another small tank to grow them in.

DragonFyre14 09-02-2012 06:25 PM

How did your fry turn out? did you end up moving them to a new tank or did you decide to keep them in the fry trap?

Geoffrey 09-02-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonFyre14 (Post 1225150)
How did your fry turn out? did you end up moving them to a new tank or did you decide to keep them in the fry trap?

The fry from that batch are now pretty much adult fish. I think I kept the fry in the trap for a couple weeks and then released them in the main tank once they were stronger swimmers. Now I just let nature take its course, after relocating the goldfish of course.
Here's an update vid I did a few weeks ago.

DragonFyre14 09-02-2012 06:46 PM

Wow you have some pretty guppies. are they all similar colors? It looks like most of them are that orange and black color (blonde tuxedo? is that what it's called?)

Geoffrey 09-02-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonFyre14 (Post 1225216)
Wow you have some pretty guppies. are they all similar colors? It looks like most of them are that orange and black color (blonde tuxedo? is that what it's called?)

Thanks, I think they're more like red tuxedos, but yeah. A few turned out to be green cobras.

DragonFyre14 09-02-2012 07:33 PM

thats cool. i recently bought a green cobra. he is adorable!

emma9177 09-15-2012 10:11 PM

i have just started tryin to breed guppys,all my females look pregnant,im just wondering how i will no she is ready to give birth...i dont want to put her in a holding pen for to long,and am very worried about my fillter sucking them up befor i can get my female guppy in a holding pen,,,please what should i do

DragonFyre14 09-15-2012 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emma9177 (Post 1244903)
i have just started tryin to breed guppys,all my females look pregnant,im just wondering how i will no she is ready to give birth...i dont want to put her in a holding pen for to long,and am very worried about my fillter sucking them up befor i can get my female guppy in a holding pen,,,please what should i do

Most people say 'check their gravid spot!' and that helps some but pretty much just watch. She'll keep getting really big and then she'll start to get a squarish stomach. Once her stomach squares off you might find (a I did a day or two before she gave birth) that she would rest on plants or on the bottom of the tank. Frankly I don't really suggest using a breeding trap. I tried and it stressed one of my females out so much she died... (plus the fry can slip through the sides of my trap...) as for the filter I just wrapped some nylon around it and now there is no way they could get sucked up.
Posted via Mobile Device