Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Magnum HOT filter Q's. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/magnum-hot-filter-qs-10271/)

blueblue48 12-24-2007 02:06 PM

does anyone know if those HOT magums are any good? i was thinking about getting a canister for my 55 and i dont really have too much money to spend.

caferacermike 12-24-2007 04:04 PM

I used one for about 2 weeks on a 30g. I didn't much care for it but I am VERY picky when it comes to equipment. I am very biased as I have some very fine equipment that I compare all of my new equipment to. It needs to be as nice and as easy to maintain as existing or I toss it. Needless to say it did not last long with me. I found the plastic mesh and small filter pads irritating at best. I will say that the pleated filter did a nice job of clearing the water of particles.

blueblue48 12-24-2007 06:21 PM

alright well when i move my 55 gallon to my bedroom i want to keep the aquatech 60 that came with it and add a small canister filter. the reason i dont want a massive one is that i dont have the money, and ive never had a canister filter before so i dont want to start with a big one and break it or not be able to maintain it or something. any suggestions on filters that i can add to my 55 that will filter decently and not cost me too much?

caferacermike 12-24-2007 08:39 PM

Buy an Eheim 2217. Yes they are about $125 online, that may seem like a lot but it isn't. You never need to replace the media that comes with them. Just rinse and reuse. That is a huge savings over any HOT that has to have replacement cartridges. The nice thing is you can run it on several tanks over the years. Downgrade to a 30g, perfect. Upgrade to a 75g, perfect. Plan on it lasting 20-30 years. That sure is a lot cheaper than replacing several burned out lesser quality filters. If it's in your bedroom think about NEVER hearing it run. It runs silent. No more cascading water noise when the water level evaporates. Equals better sleep. It's your money, you can either keep spending it over and over or buy right the first time. Other brands like Fluval use a less quality plastic hose, not vinyl, that can bend, kink, and crack over the years. They use off size connections which means you can't just run to HDepot to buy more tubing if you want to lengthen or shorten the hose. They use an unattractive hanger for routing the hoses. Rena uses vinyl tubing but tend to run with a lot of noise. You could save a buck buying a smaller unit but not enough to warrant it. Might as well go the distance all at once. Watch Ebay as I've seen several Eheim 2217 cans go for about $50.

blueblue48 12-24-2007 11:00 PM

yeah i guess that does make sense, but i would definatly have to get something from ebay. i dont have a job (not old enough) so money doesnt really come in. i was wondering if you knew anything about penn plax cascade filters? they seem reasonably priced and come in varying sizes.

Lupin 12-25-2007 02:06 AM

You could take a look in Reviews section for some reviews about certain filters you are looking for.:)