Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Interested in Freshwater Chemistry?

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  equatics 
#1 · (Edited)
I would definitely be interested in a Freshwater Chemistry forum or sub-forum. Subjects might be questions, tank problems, learning how the freshwater chemistry works.

I know there are already a lot of forums, but if there is an interest, it might be worth it.

It might show some interest if members replied to this post.

Thank you

#2 ·
This topic was raised a while back and discussed by the moderators. The concensus then was that the minimal posts/threads on this topic in the current Freshwater Aquarium section did not justify a specific sub-forum. That does not mean we can't review it further now...but as you say, responses in this thread may indicate a level of interest.

Byron.

#3 ·
I don't think it could really hit off well. Most people with aquarium issues tend to be having chemistry issues. Many new people don't know where to post, or what their problems are if they are having any, it could make things more confusing.
Some stickies and stuff in the articles section should be enough info. Byron sometimes posts things about plants and such, maybe if someone finds good chemistry articles they could be worth posting up on here.

#5 ·
Stickies sounds like the working model. Sounds nice. I have bookmarked a google search on freshwater aquarium chemistry. I'm sure they're not all what we're looking for, though. I guess I'll start reading some.

#6 ·
What exactly are you all thinking when you use the term water chemistry? If you mean the hardness and pH, there is my article on this in the Freshwater Articles section which I think explains the relationship about as simply as one can to make it understandable. We sometimes use the article section rather than "sticky."

The article is here:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-articles/water-hardness-ph-freshwater-aquarium-73276/

There are also individual articles there on light, bacteria, stress and salt.

#7 ·
I think this is a new idea that needs opening up, and needs input from people with an interest.

Freshwater aquarium chemistry would mean to me looking at the chemical interactions in water significant to the freshwater aquarium. I should really take a look at what they're talking about in the salt water Chemistry forum, although I know salt water is very different than fresh water. Personally, I really need a refresher of a chemical treatment of the buffer. That's a very well-defined and manageable chemical subject.

I think there may be a larger spectrum of interests than my personal ones, and I really don't want to put off anyone - I guess it's a pretty open field. I would like to know what other people are interested in reading about.

Byron, I find your articles excellent - I will re-read the one on Gh, Kh, and pH.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.