Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   Saltwater Tank Questions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/saltwater-tank-questions-10266/)

Cody 12-24-2007 01:49 PM

Saltwater Tank Questions

I will be getting a new tank in a few months (most likely). I know that sounds like a long time away, but I want to do some planning. I am thinking about using a saltwater tank.

So...here are my questions.

-What would be a good-sized tank for a small saltwater community?
-How many fish/rocks/etc. could I fit in a 20-30 gallon tank?
-What is the rule for how many fish can be in a tank (I.E. Freshwater is 1in of fish per gallon)?
-What are some good starter fish for a saltwater community?
[/b]

Age of Aquariums 12-24-2007 01:56 PM

I can't answer your other questions, but Ocellaris Clownfish are good starter fish. Try to stay away from Damsels, even if the LFS says "they won't fight," they will.

caferacermike 12-24-2007 02:45 PM

Well the nest question would be are you interested in corals, snails or crabs? If so that changes everything.

My ideal tank would be a 75g reef ready with about 150lbs of live rock, 120lbs of aragonite sand, a sump of about 40g with a built in 10g fuge, a Euroreef RS135 skimmer, Eheim 1262 return pump, 2x Tunze 6201 stream pumps, 2x 250w DE halides 14K with 2x 96w PC actinics. For inhabitants I'd get 2 maroon stripe clowns, a snake eel, 100 hermit crabs, long spine urchin, 2 bubble tip anemones, several pieces of coral.

It's a lot to think about.

Could you help narrow down if you want a fish only, mixed reef or invert only tank?

Cody 12-24-2007 04:51 PM

I would probably use a 29 Gallon Tank, with sand (live or not), and live rock most likely.

So, based off of that, what could I fit in there?

caferacermike 12-24-2007 05:00 PM

Not much.

I'd go for a pair of clowns.

There are several small blennies and small gobies that you could add. You could maybe get away with several small gobies or blennies. Maybe about 4-5 Bangaii cardinals as they tend to not swim much and breed like crazy. It would be easy to control the breeding in a small tank. I'd maybe shoot for a small dedicated frogfish tank. That'd be interesting. Think more along the lines of having a nice reef with lots of hermits, feather dusters, snails, emerald crabs, anemone crabs, shrimps like saron or fire, sea cukes, starfish.. You could pack a lot more inverts int hat tank size than fish. So a pair of clowns with some nice corals and lots of inverts might be interesting.

Cody 12-24-2007 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caferacermike
Not much.

I'd go for a pair of clowns.

There are several small blennies and small gobies that you could add. You could maybe get away with several small gobies or blennies. Maybe about 4-5 Bangaii cardinals as they tend to not swim much and breed like crazy. It would be easy to control the breeding in a small tank. I'd maybe shoot for a small dedicated frogfish tank. That'd be interesting. Think more along the lines of having a nice reef with lots of hermits, feather dusters, snails, emerald crabs, anemone crabs, shrimps like saron or fire, sea cukes, starfish.. You could pack a lot more inverts int hat tank size than fish. So a pair of clowns with some nice corals and lots of inverts might be interesting.

Mhm, thanks for the ideas. I have always liked clowns, even though they are probably the simplest of all saltwater fish.

I can only fit about a 29 gallon (or less) tank for my room, and I have always liked saltwater, so I want to try it out. I will probably get this for my birthday in May (Or I could save up some cash).

About how many pounds of Live Rock/Coral would I need to buy?

Cody 12-24-2007 05:45 PM

Before I forget...

Would be able to put 2 clowns and like a Yellow Tang/Purple Tang/Yellow-tailed damsel in the same tank?

And how much does a pound of live rock sell for?

SeaSerpant 12-24-2007 06:34 PM

A pound of live rock could range from 1$ to really really high. i would buy it online or something. it would cost less.

Cody 12-24-2007 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaSerpant
A pound of live rock could range from 1$ to really really high. i would buy it online or something. it would cost less.

I found a site where it is $117 for 40lbs of rock... :shock:

Hmm. I have a Great Barrier Reef Store near my house, I could see how much it is there.
What is the difference between cured rock and uncured rock?

Any answers on the 2 clowns w/Tangs or Damsels?

SeaSerpant 12-24-2007 07:05 PM

well tangs from my knowledge need to be in a 75gal tank minimum but i don't really know. thats what i would expect.