Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   Face-to-face with a Coyote! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/face-face-coyote-102624/)

Stormfish 05-27-2012 01:03 PM

Face-to-face with a Coyote!

So I've been doing a lot of hikes in the woods over the past 6 years with my dog, Blair, who's a Chocolate Lab. I've always gone to places where I knew there were moose, bear, coyote, etc., and in all these years I've only seen a single moose. That is, until Friday.

I always wondered how I would react if I saw a coyote, but all the info out there tells me they're generally frightened of people and large dogs and will run off. So I really wasn't that worried. I figured if I ever saw a coyote or a pack, it would be their back ends as they ran off. Not so!

So I was hiking in Claireville Conservation on Friday with Blair, meandering around the various footpaths, playing fetch with the dog in the creeks. He (dog) hopped down a 3' embankment in one area to cool off in the water and I followed him. I noticed the very dead, decomposing raccoon on the shoreline and was having a look. Didn't even notice the coyote that was curled up under the embankment trying to stay cool in the heat.

It was 2' away from my face! Blair and I looked up and saw it at the same time as it bared its teeth and licked at them. Scariest thing I've ever seen! It was holding its ground and showed no sign of retreating. I just remember grabbing Blair by the collar and running! No idea how I hauled him up that embankment. Superwoman strength, I suppose!

I will not be going back to the conservation for a hike without a can of pepper spray. :shock:

GwenInNM 05-27-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormfish (Post 1097266)
So I've been doing a lot of hikes in the woods over the past 6 years with my dog, Blair, who's a Chocolate Lab. I've always gone to places where I knew there were moose, bear, coyote, etc., and in all these years I've only seen a single moose. That is, until Friday.

I always wondered how I would react if I saw a coyote, but all the info out there tells me they're generally frightened of people and large dogs and will run off. So I really wasn't that worried. I figured if I ever saw a coyote or a pack, it would be their back ends as they ran off. Not so!

So I was hiking in Claireville Conservation on Friday with Blair, meandering around the various footpaths, playing fetch with the dog in the creeks. He (dog) hopped down a 3' embankment in one area to cool off in the water and I followed him. I noticed the very dead, decomposing raccoon on the shoreline and was having a look. Didn't even notice the coyote that was curled up under the embankment trying to stay cool in the heat.

It was 2' away from my face! Blair and I looked up and saw it at the same time as it bared its teeth and licked at them. Scariest thing I've ever seen! It was holding its ground and showed no sign of retreating. I just remember grabbing Blair by the collar and running! No idea how I hauled him up that embankment. Superwoman strength, I suppose!

I will not be going back to the conservation for a hike without a can of pepper spray. :shock:

That's a great encounter. I love seeing wildlife. I would agree you have nothing to fear with coyotes. This one may have had young nearby, and/or it felt as cornered as you did, and was surprised too. I was walking with my 2 dogs off leash (one rotti one small poodleX) when a group of 3 coyotes crossed the path I was walking. My poodle mix is sweet, wouldn't hurt anything, but she ran after them. I know she thought they were dogs, and she didn't respond when I called her. I hooked up my rottie, and thought, this is it, she'll be killed. I saw one of the coyotes, turn to face her, and they were within feet of each other, but thank god, they did not hurt her at all. I think they were startled, and wanted her to back off. She'll never know how close she came to being killed.

Gwen

Stormfish 05-27-2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GwenInNM (Post 1097341)
My poodle mix is sweet, wouldn't hurt anything, but she ran after them. I know she thought they were dogs, and she didn't respond when I called her.

I think I would have had a heart attack right then and there!

Romad 05-28-2012 07:04 AM

+1 on the heart attack :shocki:

It's those hungry coyotes that worry me. I'd never have an outdoor cat here in NH.

eaturbyfill 06-02-2012 11:45 AM

I would have been terrified. o:

LyzzaRyzz 06-02-2012 08:10 PM

Wow, both of you got lucky!
In Rhode Island, we dont have wild animals thatll hurt our pets. Hell, nothing is poisonous either. We get lucky in that department.
We do have deer thatll ram your car. But your cats are safe! lol