Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Stocking Query (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/stocking-query-102619/)

Molinious 05-27-2012 12:06 PM

Stocking Query

What are the Best cohabitants for Congo Tetras? Would Rummynose Tetras live well with them? Regards

Byron 05-27-2012 04:13 PM

Generally, similarly active-swimming fish work well. I have my 10 Congo's in with Black Ruby Barb, Golden Pencilfish, Emperor Tetra. And a couple loach species for the substrate. This tank is very active, all these fish swim a lot. Rummynose should be no problem, they will inhabit the lower portion whereas the Cong prefer mid-tank, so a nice match there.

You would not want to include slow, sedate fish, like angels or discus or gourami for example. And some of the tetra that are less active are probably best avoided, thinking of the Hyphessobrycon "Rosy" clade; I have several species of these in my other tank and I just cannot imagine them coping with the activity level in the Congo setup. My rummy's are in the "slow" tank too, but they do swim a fair bit though near the bottom and they don't bother the upper tetra that just basically "sit" among the plants.

Byron.

marshallsea 05-27-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1097434)
Generally, similarly active-swimming fish work well. I have my 10 Congo's in with Black Ruby Barb, Golden Pencilfish, Emperor Tetra. And a couple loach species for the substrate. This tank is very active, all these fish swim a lot. Rummynose should be no problem, they will inhabit the lower portion whereas the Cong prefer mid-tank, so a nice match there.

You would not want to include slow, sedate fish, like angels or discus or gourami for example. And some of the tetra that are less active are probably best avoided, thinking of the Hyphessobrycon "Rosy" clade; I have several species of these in my other tank and I just cannot imagine them coping with the activity level in the Congo setup. My rummy's are in the "slow" tank too, but they do swim a fair bit though near the bottom and they don't bother the upper tetra that just basically "sit" among the plants.

Byron.

hey byron, what species of tetra is it that sits among the plants?

Byron 05-28-2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marshallsea (Post 1097479)
hey byron, what species of tetra is it that sits among the plants?

This actually applies to many of the characins--tetra, pencilfish, hatchetfish. Compared to the barbs and danios, most (but not all) characins are not particularly active swimming fish. In the cyprinids, most of the rasbora species are much the same.

The key is their natural habitat, which is indicated in the profile of each species. They naturally occur around aquatic vegetation, branches, overhanding vegetation. They obviously swim, but fairly sedately, with no where near the racing around the tank that more active fish exhibit.

As for tetra species, most in the Rosy clade of Hyphessobrycon will spend most of their time in shaded areas under floating plant cover or under the leaves of the larger sword plants. Rosy Tetra, Roberts Tetra, Black Phantom Tetra, Red Phantom Tetra, Bleeding Heart Tetra are in our profiles [click the shaded names]. The Paracheirodon species are also quiet and prefer being among plants: Neon Tetra, Cardinal Tetra, Green Neon Tetra.

Byron.