Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   The shy guy.. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/shy-guy-102614/)

bubbles1 05-27-2012 10:22 AM

The shy guy..

okay so yesterday i decided to go to my lfs and stock my fluval 12 gallon. its been cycling for two weeks with some plants river rock and driftwood, and i got 6 glowlight rasbora, few shrimp, 3 cories. and as i was about to leave i noticed they had some apistogramma norberti in a tank full of large cardinal tetras.. and they looked pretty skinny, probably cause the tetras were eating all the food. so i asked about them and the guy said he'd give them to me a quarter of the original price... so i couldn't not take that offer.. so when i eventually put everything in all the inhabitants were kinda shy like usual. so in the morning everything is swimming about except the apistogramma... i can see him like hovering slightly under the drift wood... is there any way to entice him to come out and eat.. and you know get fat? :P and hes probably gonna be moved eventually so ya..

thanks for all help!

Tazman 05-27-2012 10:59 PM

Give them at least a few days to a week to get accustomed to their new home.

They have just been slightly stressed by being caught in a net, moved and introduced to a new tank with different water parameters.

bubbles1 05-30-2012 02:52 PM

its been a few days, (hence late response) :P and he is not comming out but the problem is hes not eating flakes, i tried to see if hed eat some turtle pellets crushed cause i knew the were more carnivorous pellets, and he did eat a bit but my water got mucky after words so i changed the water just now. he doesnt swim alot he kinda rests and hovers abit, he look really weak :( and hes pretty skinny.. he also has some what appears to cuts almost on the back of his one gill, i noticed it the day of and i hope he not sick ! :(

Byron 06-01-2012 04:26 PM

Unless the Apistogramma norberti came from a local breeder, it will have been wild caught. This species has been found in two small streams in the Loreto region of Peru; fish from this region are available currently as it is the season for collecting them, although the floods have been some of the worst in two decades. The debilitated condition as you describe it would certainly be indicative of wild caught fish; tank-raised fish would almost certainly be well fed and fuller.

Being from the Loreto region, it must have very soft and acidic water. As for feeding, wild apistos rarely accept prepared foods at first (and some never). Live foods (worms, daphnia, brine shrimp) are best at first, then wean them onto frozen bloodworms, shrimp, daphnia. Try frozen if live foods are un available. From there they can sometimes be weaned onto prepared foods. Floating flakes will be useless unless you mix them in the water so they sink, as these fish feed from the bottom.

Byron.

bubbles1 06-02-2012 10:11 AM

this morning i found him lying on the floor... with out a face or anything.. i guess he passed during the night and the amano shrimp munched on him.. he was in my tank for a week and wouldnt eat once! i was gonna go to my lfs today to buy some live foods or something for him to eat but i guess its too late :( ill assume he was wild caught he wouldnt even look at the flakes.. even though everything was eating them.. you know youd think he see them eating and hed wanna eat :P well i guess its time to move on then... is there any possibility that there any other dwarf something that could somewhat centerpiece my tank? like a ram? gold or electric blue or bolivian? or african buttterfly cichlid? or keyhole cichlid? a single angel? any ideas? or perhaps any odditie that kinda stands out? but nothing to big ;) or maybe a small school of like half beaks or pencil fish :D omg so many possibilities :) any ideas? basically i have few rasbora and some cories and few shrimp in there right now.. so yaaa

thx!! bubbles!

Byron 06-02-2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbles1 (Post 1103569)
this morning i found him lying on the floor... with out a face or anything.. i guess he passed during the night and the amano shrimp munched on him.. he was in my tank for a week and wouldnt eat once! i was gonna go to my lfs today to buy some live foods or something for him to eat but i guess its too late :( ill assume he was wild caught he wouldnt even look at the flakes.. even though everything was eating them.. you know youd think he see them eating and hed wanna eat :P well i guess its time to move on then... is there any possibility that there any other dwarf something that could somewhat centerpiece my tank? like a ram? gold or electric blue or bolivian? or african buttterfly cichlid? or keyhole cichlid? a single angel? any ideas? or perhaps any odditie that kinda stands out? but nothing to big ;) or maybe a small school of like half beaks or pencil fish :D omg so many possibilities :) any ideas? basically i have few rasbora and some cories and few shrimp in there right now.. so yaaa

thx!! bubbles!

Sorry to hear that, but not unexpected unfortunately. For the future, when buying fish never buy any that look starved or emaciated; fish that have refused to eat or not been fed (as in transport) often will not start eating again. I always wait for the fish to gain some weight in the store; if it is not going to survive, I'd rather it died there than in my tank. Corys are one fish I never acquire until they have been in the store and are eating for two weeks. Also, by this time, any health issues (parasites, protozoans, etc) are more likely to become obvious.

To your recent question. A 12g is not sufficient space for any "centerpiece" fish like a cichlid. Stay with small fish, under an inch, except perhaps for the substrate. Some catfish make a nice addition in a small tank. But the tank will be more successful, and thus enjoyable, if it is stocked with small fish that can be very colourful. I've had a 10g with 20-30 "dwarf" species that was very interesting.

Byron.