Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Aquarim Salt (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/aquarim-salt-10253/)

tiffianylynn 12-23-2007 10:16 PM

Aquarim Salt

Do I need to use Aquarim Salt? I had my water tested today after having a fish die that I had just bought, and they told me I needed to add salt.

Cody 12-23-2007 11:00 PM

Re: Aquarim Salt

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiffianylynn
Do I need to use Aquarim Salt? I had my water tested today after having a fish die that I had just bought, and they told me I needed to add salt.

Well, if they said to use it, it doesn't hurt to try it.

I use conditioning salt for my fish whenever I clean the tank and/or get new fish. It helps relieve stress.

tiffianylynn 12-23-2007 11:05 PM

So is it like Stress Coat? I use that anytime I add new fish to my tank. I'm still learning the whole taking care of the fish life. This is my first tank and I've had it for almost 2 months and I've only had 2 fish die, one was killed by a crawdad then a new one I purchased today that didn't make it 2 hours. Which I believe was sick when I got it, because none of the others are floaters.

Cody 12-23-2007 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiffianylynn
So is it like Stress Coat? I use that anytime I add new fish to my tank. I'm still learning the whole taking care of the fish life. This is my first tank and I've had it for almost 2 months and I've only had 2 fish die, one was killed by a crawdad then a new one I purchased today that didn't make it 2 hours. Which I believe was sick when I got it, because none of the others are floaters.

I dunno about Stress Coat, never used it. But it sounds kind of similar.

You can probably go to your local PetsMart or Petco and get some sort of salt.

Brother 12-24-2007 02:24 PM

I see adding aquarium salt to tanks for various reasons all over the Internet, can all freshwater fish live in brackish water conditions..??? Is it healthy? I noticed Petco has aquarium salt in practically all of its tanks Livebearers and not.

Little-Fizz 12-24-2007 09:51 PM

Not all fresh water fish can thrive with salt in the water. If you have corys or any other scaleless fish do not use aquarium salt. It can be used to treat diseases, like ich. I'm not really sure why your pet store would tell you you needed aquarium salt??? :? Did they give you a specific reason for it? It sounds to me like they just want your money. What was your testing results? The aquarium salt can relax a fish also. But like I said not ALL fresh water fish can handle salt. What type of fish do you have?

Little-Fizz 12-24-2007 09:53 PM

Never mind, I just saw your tank blurb thinger. Sounds like your over stocked? The silver dollars and tinfoil barbs will get much to large for your 55 gallon. And I'm not to sure about the sharks either...

Lupin 12-25-2007 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little-Fizz
I'm not really sure why your pet store would tell you you needed aquarium salt??? :? Did they give you a specific reason for it? It sounds to me like they just want your money. What was your testing results? The aquarium salt can relax a fish also. But like I said not ALL fresh water fish can handle salt. What type of fish do you have?

I concur. It's all marketing ploy. Table salt works just as much as the aquarium salt and it doesn't have to let you distance yourself from a couple of bucks. Use salt only when necessary. It's just a waste of time and money for any other reasons.

For brackish water, marine salt is used, not aquarium salt.

Holly 12-28-2007 05:19 PM

The live bearers will definatly beneift from salt in the water but your plecos and corys won't care much for it. I noticed a huge differance in my guppies and swordtails once salt was added. My pleco didn't care for it much so I just kept a minimal amout in the tank to keep everyone happy. It does act like a sort of stress coat, for live bearers, and will help with ick but I think I would stick to regular stress coat in your tank. You have too many fish that wouldn't like the salt to use it.