Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Selecting Addition To Community Tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/selecting-addition-community-tank-102528/)

Absntmind 05-26-2012 01:36 PM

Selecting Addition To Community Tank

Hello all! I have recieved help her a couple times already, and true to my word I'm back again too bug ya :-D

Currently have a 55 gallon planted tank, and am having some issues with the current residents. Namely the Zebra Danios and Mollies. The danios where pretty aggresive early on so I added more since i heard that would help. I got the group up to eight an that seemed to help some. Yet now they are back down to 6, both losses from abuse. Seem VERY aggressive towards the smaller danios as both had fins damaged. Water is good with weekly changes, temp is kept around 75, tank is not overstocked and well planted.

The mollies are fine in temperament, yet for some reason are attacking my plants lol. I have seen them going plant to plant pulling on the leaves like they are trying to eat them. Within a few days after cleaning, the substrate is covered with plant debris and there is noticeable damage to the plants. Luckily, I mentioned this to a guy at my LFS and he said he would gladly re-home them for me. Actually, he said he will keep the danios in the stores planted tank and the mollies in his personal tank at home. The only reason I say all this is to answer any questions in advance, hehehe.

My main question is I would like the replace the danios with another schooling type fish for the top level. Any suggestions for peaceful top level fish that won't attack plants? Currently in the tank (after today): 7 Ghost Catfish, 4 Upside Down Catfish, and 2 Bolivian Rams. Thoughts regarding Hatchetfish? That was a friends suggestion...

kitten_penang 05-27-2012 10:13 AM

hatchets are good jumpers you'll need floating plants at the top.tetras, rasboras,w.m.minows are the best schooling fish.there's so many types to choose from.upside down catfish get rather large but not too large.

bubbles1 05-27-2012 10:59 AM

you can try Pareutropius buffei,Three Striped African Glass Catfish they are great schoolers!

Pareutropius buffei (Three Striped African Glass Catfish) — Seriously Fish

Byron 05-27-2012 01:06 PM

What are the water parameters? Not all fish are adaptable to the same extent as other fish might be. By params I mean GH (hardness) and pH.

Stormfish 05-27-2012 01:13 PM

I don't think your Mollies were attacking the plants, but rather, they were eating them. ;-) Hatchet Fish will also eat your plants. I've looked into them as well.