Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Petco as an outlet for "excess" fry. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/petco-outlet-excess-fry-102468/)

DKRST 05-25-2012 06:07 PM

Petco as an outlet for "excess" fry.

FYI, I have several folks I know who work at a couple of different PETCO's. I found out that it's PETCO's policy to accept any "donated" fish, no matter what condition they are in. Therefore, if you have excess fry, there is a reliable outlet to "re-home" them . They will NOT pay you for the "donations" however or trade you for store credit.

Chesh 05-26-2012 07:31 PM

I'm going to have to look into this one, thanks for the heads-up! My LFS was more than happy to take my Molly and Guppy fry, but then they closed down, and I haven't been able to find an alternative yet. I'll check with my local PetCo - do you know if they sell 'donated' fish to their customers? I've heard of stores that basically euthanize any fish brought in from outside sources, even though they do accept them. . . that would just be sad!

DKRST 05-26-2012 10:49 PM

Petco will try to nurse sick fish back to health, at least several PETCOs around here do, and then will sell them. Healthy fish go up for sale immediately, again, at least around here.

Assault0137 05-27-2012 07:28 AM

can they accept a 2 year old red-tailed shark? they live up to 15 years, so i don't think selling an old fish would be a problem.

Chesh 05-27-2012 07:30 AM

Awesome! Thanks again! I will be looking into them as an option when this batch gets a bit bigger! :)

Assault0137 05-27-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Assault0137 (Post 1097006)
can they accept a 2 year old red-tailed shark? they live up to 15 years, so i don't think selling an old fish would be a problem.

i went and dropped off my shark, and they took it happily. they put the bag in a Koi tank and left it to acclimate.

DKRST 05-27-2012 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Assault0137 (Post 1097330)
i went and dropped off my shark, and they took it happily. they put the bag in a Koi tank and left it to acclimate.

Thanks for confirming it's not just my local PETCOs that will take fish!

Assault0137 05-27-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKRST (Post 1097552)
Thanks for confirming it's not just my local PETCOs that will take fish!

yeah, but i dont think they ever took it out of the bag:-?.i was there another half hour and i never saw them add water to the bag or even glance at it...

jennesque 05-28-2012 09:32 PM

My petco would not take my fish back. It was a angelfish.. still a baby. I even brought it in the bag cause someone else told me they would take it. They even sold me the fish originally.. there wasn't anything wrong with the fish, it was just starting to get aggressive.
Posted via Mobile Device

DKRST 05-28-2012 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennesque (Post 1098825)
My petco would not take my fish back. It was a angelfish.. still a baby. I even brought it in the bag cause someone else told me they would take it. They even sold me the fish originally.. there wasn't anything wrong with the fish, it was just starting to get aggressive.
Posted via Mobile Device

Strange, the Petco's in Upstate SC all will take "donations". Perhaps it depends on the store manager?