Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Low light carpet plant (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/low-light-carpet-plant-102466/)

Pearl2011 05-25-2012 05:48 PM

Low light carpet plant

What is a hardy fast growing carpet plant that does NOT need Co2 or fertilizer? And grows reasonably fast?

This is going to be in a 3.5 gallon and a 25 gallon. Thanks for any recommendations.

GwenInNM 05-25-2012 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pearl2011 (Post 1095181)
What is a hardy fast growing carpet plant that does NOT need Co2 or fertilizer? And grows reasonably fast?

This is going to be in a 3.5 gallon and a 25 gallon. Thanks for any recommendations.

I don't think there is any "carpet" plant that grows fast and with low light. I'll be interested to see what others say.

Gwen

Chesh 05-25-2012 06:37 PM

From what I've been told, Gwen is right. All of the cool carpet plants need higher lighting to thrive. However, Pygmy Chain Sword grows fairly quickly, and has an appearance much like the grasses if left to grow wild. So far it's doing great in my tank, and has sent out many runners! :)

Hope this helps!

GwenInNM 05-25-2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chesherca (Post 1095216)
From what I've been told, Gwen is right. All of the cool carpet plants need higher lighting to thrive. However, Pygmy Chain Sword grows fairly quickly, and has an appearance much like the grasses if left to grow wild. So far it's doing great in my tank, and has sent out many runners! :)

Hope this helps!

Hey, that plant does say it does well in low light! Where have you found that plant? Big Chain stores?

Gwen

Chesh 05-25-2012 06:59 PM

LOL! It DOES. . . in my tank! I have proof positive, though I'm not going to let it take over the substrate, I've seen it done and it looks nice. I've seen it at PetSmart, but that's kind of hit-or-miss (here, anyway) Mine came from a LFS, and it is a very common plant, usually easy to find :)

Boredomb 05-25-2012 07:59 PM

Dwarf Sagittaria is another plant that looks similar to Pygmy chain sword and grows well in low light.

GwenInNM 05-25-2012 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boredomb (Post 1095287)
Dwarf Sagittaria is another plant that looks similar to Pygmy chain sword and grows well in low light.

I know where I'm heading tomorrow :) LFS!! I would love to find a carpet grass, that will do good in low light.

Gwen

Boredomb 05-26-2012 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GwenInNM (Post 1095301)
I know where I'm heading tomorrow :) LFS!! I would love to find a carpet grass, that will do good in low light.

Gwen

Hope you have better stores in your area then I do. I have never seen these plants in stores though I don't see much plants in stores around me period. Petco and Petsmart are pretty much useless on this aspect. I have one local store that carries some plants but they are generally high on their prices. Online classifieds are great LoL this is where I get most of my plants from now.

Pearl2011 05-26-2012 11:50 AM

Thank you! I have two 25 watts bulb on a tank 18 inches deep. Would that be considered low light? I go to Mr Pets. I dont go to Pet Cetra because I asked with they had Java fern and the conversation wen t like this.

Me: *looks at plant tank* Do you have Java moss or fern?
Worker:They're assorted
Me: *looks for names of plant container* But what types are they?
Worker: They're assorted
Me:*really annoyed* But what types
Worker: I dont know
Mom: Lets go, honey

They also made me climb up a ladder when I was nine to get a hamster. Reason: Dwarf hamsters are the satin of all hamsters! (claim made by two workers). My mom wouldnt gone up the ladder but she had hurt her foot very badly.

redchigh 05-26-2012 11:53 AM

what sort of substrate do you have? In sand, dwarf hairgrass will eventually form a carpet and looks awesome.

Dwarf sag does grow faster, but isn't exactly a 'groundcover'. Sometimes it will suddenly grow to 6 inches or so instead of the attractive 2 inches.
I love the plant though, so it'll do fine in a 25... Just wouldn't want it to take the small tank over.

All plants need nutrients, whether it's just detritus (fish poop), liquid fertilizers (like flourish comprehensive) or an enriched substrate (like soil).