Tropical Fish Keeping banner

LED Lighting and Jawfish ?

3K views 14 replies 2 participants last post by  Reefing Madness 
#1 ·
I started my BioCube 29 HQI right of the bat by taking the entire lighting fixture off and laying to l.e.d. Strips on the glass. One is blue and the other white, both at 9W each (total 18W).

I'm consIdering buying another two strips of the same type for a total of 36W because it seems the l.e.d fixture don't spread the light as much as I originally thought. I have to position my colt coral directly under it so it grows vertical and not slouched over, same thing my Sps leather (I moved him to the very top, now he's twice his size.

Is an additional 18W to much! Will I see a huge jump in algae growth?

I also wanted to know if I could do a jawfish. Unfortionately, my rocks (35lbs) and sitting on top of my sand . When I put the rock ontop of my sand (40lbs) I wiggle and grinder them down as far as I could. Does that matter, or is any burrowing fish a no go with my tank.

Sorry for the long post,
MetalArm3

#3 ·
The LED's were bought locally so there is no information on them (came in plain white boxes). All I know is, they are 9w each and 12" long. I think I'll go ahead and buy another set, could only be beneficial to my anemone when I get one.

My sand bed is a consistent 3" deep (just measured), is that enough?
Posted via Mobile Device

#4 ·
The LED's were bought locally so there is no information on them (came in plain white boxes). All I know is, they are 9w each and 12" long. I think I'll go ahead and buy another set, could only be beneficial to my anemone when I get one.

My sand bed is a consistent 3" deep (just measured), is that enough?
Posted via Mobile Device
Sand bed depth is close, you could try. Not sure if it will be enough.

#6 ·
Update: I was searching on liveaquaria and saw a new fish added. The Sleeper Banded Goby is a peaceful, reef safe, sand sifter for 30gal or larger. I was looking for a sand sifter and think this might be the one.

Are you familiar with this fish?
Posted via Mobile Device

#7 ·
Update: I was searching on liveaquaria and saw a new fish added. The Sleeper Banded Goby is a peaceful, reef safe, sand sifter for 30gal or larger. I was looking for a sand sifter and think this might be the one.

Are you familiar with this fish?
Posted via Mobile Device
Yea, he's just ike the Golden Head and Striped Sleepers, cept he can be housed in a smalle tank. Your good there.

#9 ·
Thanks Reef!

I'm going to purchase the Banded Sleeper Goby on liveaquaria along with a purple fire fish and crocea clam. Can't wait.

Thanks again,
metal
Posted via Mobile Device
I wouldn't put a Crocea in there. Not to sure about your lighting. Derasa maybe, they don't need as much light. I don't know exactly what you have there, nor what focusing lenses your unit has on it, don't really know what kind of light penetration your getting. You'll need to watch your Magnesium, Alkalinity, Calcium and Phosphate readings with the introduction of a Clam.

#12 ·
Ok, I'll do that. I'll enjoy it for a few years and hopefully make some money. Or, actually I have a large rock with nothing on it that could be taken out.

I bought the LEDs today, it looks much nice and brighter....hopefully the corals will adapt appropriately.

Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.