Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   New Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/new-fish-10242/)

tiffianylynn 12-23-2007 03:56 PM

New Fish

I just went and purchased me some new babies. Let me know what you think of what I got. I hope I did a good job. And I'm about to sale my huge common pleco. Yay he is awful with my tank always uprooting my plants.

1 Gold Mystery Snail
1 Blue Mystery Snail
3 Glass Fish
2 Dalmation Molly's
2 Albino Cory Catfish
5 White Clouds (ugly fish but a cheap price) Hope they get prettier.

Cody 12-23-2007 04:02 PM

Re: New Fish

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiffianylynn
I just went and purchased me some new babies. Let me know what you think of what I got. I hope I did a good job. And I'm about to sale my huge common pleco. Yay he is awful with my tank always uprooting my plants.

1 Gold Mystery Snail
1 Blue Mystery Snail
3 Glass Fish
2 Dalmation Molly's
2 Albino Cory Catfish
5 White Clouds (ugly fish but a cheap price) Hope they get prettier.

Interesting fish. Dalmation Molly's look pretty neat. Where did you find the albinos? :roll:

To me, it looks decent.

tiffianylynn 12-23-2007 04:07 PM

Hi I purchased them all at Petsmart in Clarksville TN. I just counted all my fish and realized there is now 30 fish in my tank 2 Snails, and 3 Common Plecos. Is this too many for my tank. God I hope not. Which I'm ready to get rid of at least one of the common plecos since he is so big now. And possibly the red tail black shark. But I have no live fish stores around who will do trades. I called one fish store and they said they would do a trade but they would only give me 10 for my big pleco, and petsmart said that should be a 25 to 30 pleco. If anyone is close to me and interested in purchasing them from me please let me know.

Cody 12-23-2007 04:18 PM

Quote:

Hi I purchased them all at Petsmart in Clarksville TN. I just counted all my fish and realized there is now 30 fish in my tank 2 Snails, and 3 Common Plecos. Is this too many for my tank. God I hope not. Which I'm ready to get rid of at least one of the common plecos since he is so big now. And possibly the red tail black shark. But I have no live fish stores around who will do trades. I called one fish store and they said they would do a trade but they would only give me 10 for my big pleco, and petsmart said that should be a 25 to 30 pleco. If anyone is close to me and interested in purchasing them from me please let me know.

You have a 55gal, right? It does seem a bit overcrowded, but my 5 gal tank is "overcrowded", and the fish are doing fine. It might be different in a 55 Gallon where each fish probably has its own territory.

Getting rid of the big pleco might do some good. I had to get rid of 2 of my old plecos that were HUGE (11in. and 8in).

Hope you can find some places to get rid of the fish.

tiffianylynn 12-23-2007 11:14 PM

Welp one of the Glass Fish has passed away. It survived not even 2 hours after I purchased it. I called the store to ask what to do since it was Holiday weekend. The guy acted like he didn't want to exchange, but I took it back tonight and got that taken care of. I hope this works.

Also he tested my water and he told me I needed to add salt. Is this true. Here is my results

Nitrate 20
Nitrite .5
Hardness 150
Chlorine 0
Alkalinity 80
PH 6.5
Salinity .4
Ammonia 0

What all do I need to be done.

Cody 12-24-2007 12:03 AM

Quote:

Welp one of the Glass Fish has passed away. It survived not even 2 hours after I purchased it. I called the store to ask what to do since it was Holiday weekend. The guy acted like he didn't want to exchange, but I took it back tonight and got that taken care of. I hope this works.

Also he tested my water and he told me I needed to add salt. Is this true. Here is my results

nitrate 20
nitrite .5
Hardness 150
Chlorine 0
Alkalinity 80
PH 6.5
salinity .4
Ammonia 0

What all do I need to be done.

Eh, I guess it doesn't hurt to add some salt. Your pH is kind of low too (What you want is 7).

I use conditioning salt whenever I clean my tank and/or get new fish. It helps relieve stress.

tiffianylynn 12-24-2007 12:08 AM

I've been reading some posts, and some recommend using the salt and some dont. I'm taking it as a user perference. I was also told that the mollies have to have salt in order to survive, has anyone else heard this. Sorry everyone I'm still new to whole fish life and I'm still learning the ropes.

Cody 12-24-2007 12:18 AM

Quote:

I've been reading some posts, and some recommend using the salt and some dont. I'm taking it as a user perference. I was also told that the mollies have to have salt in order to survive, has anyone else heard this. Sorry everyone I'm still new to whole fish life and I'm still learning the ropes.

Some fish say that they need salt to survive (mollies, platies, etc), but I do not know if it is true or not. I do not add salt unless it is the conditioning salt, but I have only had mollies like once in the past.

Falina 12-24-2007 05:00 AM

Your tank is rather ovecrowded! :shock:

The cories like to be in groups of 6 or more to be happiest, cnsiderig your stocking, I would return them rather than increase them.

The mollies do not need salt. They can tolerate it, but do not need it. Don't add salt. For some fish it can help as a general medication when the cause isn't known but some will not tolerate it, and the cories and snails won't.

The white clouds are not tropical fish. They require cooler temperatures, much like goldfish. I would return them.

Hope this helps.

Oldman47 12-24-2007 10:18 AM

I will go so far as to say that none of your fish really need salt. That said, you need badly to do a partial water change. Your nitrites are too high, they should always be less than 0.25. One thing that salt would be good for is the nitrites. Fish can tolerate nitrites better with a little salt in the water so it might help until you get the nitrites down.