Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Vacation Feeding? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/vacation-feeding-102365/)

Canadian Fish 05-24-2012 01:41 PM

Vacation Feeding?

Has anybody used those "vacation foods" that are supposed to feed the fish over a period of days?

We're going camping from a Monday to a Thursday, so I can feed them around noon on Monday and around noon on Thursday. So basically it's just Tuesday and Wednesday I won't be there.

A week later, however, we are going to be away for 5 full days. I've read some of the ads for various ones online, and they claim 3 days or 5 days, etc. Do they really work? Is any particular brand better?

Also, they didn't seem to indicate how many fish they would feed. (or what type). I usually use three kinds of food, my goldfish food, plus sinking pellets for the corys and loaches, and flake food for everything else. (The goldfish are in their own tank)

Any input is appreciated, thanks!

jaysee 05-24-2012 01:51 PM

For such short trips, you do not need to worry about feeding them. Fish can go for quite a long time without food - many times longer than you will be gone for.

If you are feeling guilty, throw in some ghost shrimp for the fish to snack on.

Canadian Fish 05-24-2012 02:13 PM

Thanks, that is good news.

Do most fish eat ghost shrimp? I probably won't even bother if they will be ok for 5 days. I thought i'd better ask because I'm sure my LFS will just want to sell me the vacation blocks (they're pretty good, but business is business), and I would be devastated if I came home to dead fish.

jaysee 05-24-2012 02:28 PM

Yeah, ghost shrimp aren't necessary for 5 days. That's more of a 2-3 week thing.

New Zealand goldfish survive 134 days without food - Weird News - Digital Spy

rhymon78 05-24-2012 02:41 PM

I am no expert, and have never used those feeding blocks you are referring to, but I have either heard or read somewhere they are a disaster... I think it was in practical fish keeping magazine actually. they'll turn your water cloudy and rot away which could cause an ammonia crisis. The advice, if you do not trust someone to come in a feed them for you, is to just leave them... fish can go for 5 days or more.. I would feel guilty, but if needs must! I read in the same article that some cichlids, think Jack dempsy was mentioned could go 2-3 weeks fasting. I'm sure smaller fish would struggle though.

Canadian Fish 05-24-2012 02:53 PM

On the second trip we're actually leaving on a Thursday morning and returning Monday at lunchtime so really it will be 3 and a half days with no food, which sounds like it will be no problem.

Geomancer 05-24-2012 04:11 PM

They can go on a diet =)

Back in my bad days as I call them, I had used them. They never clouded my water ... but when I returned they always looked nasty. I don't think it was fungus, but it had that white wispy look.

Best to just let them fast.

lorax84 05-24-2012 04:31 PM

I don't feed on vacations. Most people overfeed their fish anyway. There is also a good amount of edible material in just about every tank. I am going to be out of town starting tomorrow through Tuesday and the person who is house sitting has been instructed not to touch the fish. They will be fine.

rhymon78 05-24-2012 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lorax84 (Post 1093966)
I don't feed on vacations. Most people overfeed their fish anyway. There is also a good amount of edible material in just about every tank. I am going to be out of town starting tomorrow through Tuesday and the person who is house sitting has been instructed not to touch the fish. They will be fine.

LOL......DO NOT TOUCH THE FISH!:twisted:

Byron 05-24-2012 05:28 PM

I agree with what has been posted. Up to a week with no feeding is fine if the fish are healthy. Do a good water change the day prior to leaving.