Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Golden dojo loach size (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/golden-dojo-loach-size-102349/)

Peacelily 05-24-2012 09:32 AM

Golden dojo loach size

I've heard that golden dojos don't grow as large as other dojos. Is there any truth to this? If so, would this imply that they're less robust in general?

jaysee 05-24-2012 09:35 AM

Welcome to the forum

I have noticed that as well. I have not seen goldens as large as regulars. My golden dojos are petsmart fish

Byron 05-24-2012 11:14 AM

Most sources give up to 12 inches for this species, with 8-10 inches being the norm in aquaria.

thekoimaiden 05-24-2012 11:41 AM

I can attest to that. I had a 9 inch golden dojo that I had to rehome.

Peacelily 05-24-2012 12:09 PM

Thanks for the quick responses, jaysee and Byron! How big are your goldens, jaysee? And do any of your sources discriminate between the two types, Byron? I have two golden juveniles and am wondering how likely it is that they will grow beyond 7 or 8 inches.

Peacelily 05-24-2012 12:14 PM

Thanks, thekoimaiden! That's good to know. It sounds like the size difference is pretty minor, then.

jaysee 05-24-2012 01:11 PM

my larger ones are maybe 7 inches.

The dojos being sold at petsmart now are the size of small kuhli loaches. I've never seen them so small!

Byron 05-24-2012 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peacelily (Post 1093763)
Thanks for the quick responses, jaysee and Byron! How big are your goldens, jaysee? And do any of your sources discriminate between the two types, Byron? I have two golden juveniles and am wondering how likely it is that they will grow beyond 7 or 8 inches.

What two types? The "Golden" Dojo Loach is the species Misgurnus anguillicaudatus. Fish of the same species can attain different sizes, just as people can, due to many factors, but in our profiles for instance the expected maximum size is given as one should always plan for that with a species.

BTW, you are familiar with our profiles? The names above shaded, meaning they are in the profiles, you can click the name to see the info.

Byron.

Peacelily 05-25-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1093970)
What two types? The "Golden" Dojo Loach is the species Misgurnus anguillicaudatus. Fish of the same species can attain different sizes, just as people can, due to many factors, but in our profiles for instance the expected maximum size is given as one should always plan for that with a species.

BTW, you are familiar with our profiles? The names above shaded, meaning they are in the profiles, you can click the name to see the info.

Byron.

Thanks for mentioning the profiles. They're quite helpful.

I'm curious whether these two variants of M. anguillicaudatus exhibit a greater difference in size than one would expect due to chance alone. Since I don't know of any formal studies that address this question, I'd like to hear about other people's individual experiences with these fish.

The only dojos I've been able to find in local stores are the golden ones, so these are the ones I purchased. The little I've been able to glean online suggests that golden dojos have a smaller length and girth than the brown and white dojos, and I'm a little worried that the golden variant might be less robust than the dojo loaches that don't have this color mutation. So if anyone can comment on the relative size and health of these two variants, I'd love to hear it. :-)