Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Characins (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/)
-   -   Lone female diamond tetra (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/lone-female-diamond-tetra-102311/)

Jayy 05-23-2012 07:59 PM

Lone female diamond tetra
 
Things in my 55 planted are doing great right now. The plants are constantly grow taller and getting brighter and the amount of snails has GREATLY dropped. Last week I picked up seven diamond tetras( 2 males 5 females). They've colored up beautifully and have even tried spawning. The only problem is, this one female is acting strange. She doesn't sparkle like the rest and hides in plants, she doesn't even come out to eat. :| She doesn't look sick. Could she some how be stressed? Also, before anyone ask I'm sure she's a diamond tetra.

Byron 05-24-2012 11:19 AM

Is respiration faster than the others? Does it just hover?

Jayy 05-24-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1093722)
Is respiration faster than the others? Does it just hover?

Yes her respiration is faster than to others. She doesn't hover she just doesn't leave the plants.

Byron 05-24-2012 04:58 PM

This may be something internal, some type of protozoan or parasite. Seem to be a lot of this these days. I lost a number of fish over the past two weeks to a protozoan that came in with new fish. I now QT everything, regardless where I get it.

These symptoms always result in the fish dying in my experience, unless one can diagnose the issue and treat it. And I'm of no use in this.

Jayy 05-24-2012 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1093990)
This may be something internal, some type of protozoan or parasite. Seem to be a lot of this these days. I lost a number of fish over the past two weeks to a protozoan that came in with new fish. I now QT everything, regardless where I get it.

These symptoms always result in the fish dying in my experience, unless one can diagnose the issue and treat it. And I'm of no use in this.

I'll keep an eye on her. Thanks for trying.

Olympia 05-24-2012 06:17 PM

Sorry to butt in but I don't see the need to make a new thread for my similar problem.
Is this contagious? I've had my cories for maybe 2 months and all of them have grown like weeds but one, he "cuddles" the others when they're near him but doesn't school with them. He's still the size I bought him at, 1" while everyone else is at least 1.5" now. His breathing is faster too. So pretty similar. I hope he won't get the other cories or betta sick too, treating cories is such a pain too. :(
Posted via Mobile Device

Jayy 05-24-2012 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympia (Post 1094082)
Sorry to butt in but I don't see the need to make a new thread for my similar problem.
Is this contagious? I've had my cories for maybe 2 months and all of them have grown like weeds but one, he "cuddles" the others when they're near him but doesn't school with them. He's still the size I bought him at, 1" while everyone else is at least 1.5" now. His breathing is faster too. So pretty similar. I hope he won't get the other cories or betta sick too, treating cories is such a pain too. :(
Posted via Mobile Device

No problem, I also want to know.

GwenInNM 05-24-2012 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympia (Post 1094082)
Sorry to butt in but I don't see the need to make a new thread for my similar problem.
Is this contagious? I've had my cories for maybe 2 months and all of them have grown like weeds but one, he "cuddles" the others when they're near him but doesn't school with them. He's still the size I bought him at, 1" while everyone else is at least 1.5" now. His breathing is faster too. So pretty similar. I hope he won't get the other cories or betta sick too, treating cories is such a pain too. :(
Posted via Mobile Device

You both might want to get Jungle brand Anti-parasite medicated food. It treats internal parasites. It suggests to use as a prevention when introducing fish. You feed 3 days in a row, for a week (exclusively) for 4 weeks.

It could be too late for your cory, but it's worth a try. May protect the other fish from getting it

Gwen

Jayy 05-24-2012 10:24 PM

Thank you very much! Where can I find it?

GwenInNM 05-25-2012 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayy (Post 1094392)
Thank you very much! Where can I find it?


I got it at a fish store here. You might find it at Petco/Petsmart. I'm sure it's on Amazon.

I paid $3.99 for it, so it's not very expensive

Gwen


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2