Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Low matinence nano-tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/low-matinence-nano-tank-102285/)

hotshotdevil32 05-23-2012 12:42 PM

Low matinence nano-tank
 
So I already have a 72 saltwater aquarium and I am in the process of setting up two planted tanks, one for my brother and one for my girlfriend. Now I have been captivated by the simple beauty of freshwater tanks. Unfortunately I don't have much time to maintain yet another system. I was hoping you guys could give me some advice on how to set up a tank so it could be relatively low maitnence and it would have to be small (under 10 gallons). I would definantly like to do plants and a shrimp tank maybe an area of particular interest to me.

Byron 05-23-2012 06:14 PM

It is possible to have an aquarium that needs minimal maintenance; the goal is to stock very lightly and have it well planted. Although I do not recommend anything less than weekly water changes, there are those with heavily-planted tanks containing moderate fish load that do no water changes. However, I can't speak for the health of the fish.

But what is known is that the more plants, and fewer fish, the more self-maintaining an aquarium can be. It can be filter-less. A heater and overhead light may be all the equipment needed. I ran a 10g with no filter and no light for several months as an experiment. The light was problematic, as the plants naturally grew toward the light source, being the window. And the lack of a filter did mean the water was not crystal clear. But some small (dwarf-type) fish, shrimp, snails, and thick with plants did work. I still did weekly water changes of half the tank, and I would not recommend anything less. The difference this makes to the fish cannot be ignored.

Byron.

hotshotdevil32 05-23-2012 06:35 PM

Well with a small tank frequent water changes should be no problem. What If I did a asian rice patty biotope? Planted the tank pretty densely with rice plants and just put a couple of a shrimp or one crayfish native to that area. Do you know of any one having any experience doing a set-up similar to this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1093054)
It is possible to have an aquarium that needs minimal maintenance; the goal is to stock very lightly and have it well planted. Although I do not recommend anything less than weekly water changes, there are those with heavily-planted tanks containing moderate fish load that do no water changes. However, I can't speak for the health of the fish.

But what is known is that the more plants, and fewer fish, the more self-maintaining an aquarium can be. It can be filter-less. A heater and overhead light may be all the equipment needed. I ran a 10g with no filter and no light for several months as an experiment. The light was problematic, as the plants naturally grew toward the light source, being the window. And the lack of a filter did mean the water was not crystal clear. But some small (dwarf-type) fish, shrimp, snails, and thick with plants did work. I still did weekly water changes of half the tank, and I would not recommend anything less. The difference this makes to the fish cannot be ignored.

Byron.


hotshotdevil32 05-25-2012 05:47 AM

Bumb

Byron 05-25-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotshotdevil32 (Post 1093066)
Well with a small tank frequent water changes should be no problem. What If I did a asian rice patty biotope? Planted the tank pretty densely with rice plants and just put a couple of a shrimp or one crayfish native to that area. Do you know of any one having any experience doing a set-up similar to this?

I've no experience with this suggested aquascape, nor the plant and critters mentioned, so can't help, sorry.:-(

hotshotdevil32 05-25-2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1094748)
I've no experience with this suggested aquascape, nor the plant and critters mentioned, so can't help, sorry.:-(

Well that in and off it self is impressive! I have stumped Byron :lol:. Ah well hopefully someone else will come along who does

stevenjohn21 05-25-2012 11:27 PM

depending on the species of crayfish you get, you might have problems growing plants as its part of their diet. I have found that having just one in a nano tank filled with fast growing plants. The plants have to be able to grow faster than the crayfish can eat them. I have also found that the darker the leaf on the plant the less edible it seems for my marble crayfish. Its a matter of trial and error im afraid....although that could cost a lot of money and plants wasted by the time you figure out what works.

hotshotdevil32 05-26-2012 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenjohn21 (Post 1095470)
depending on the species of crayfish you get, you might have problems growing plants as its part of their diet. I have found that having just one in a nano tank filled with fast growing plants. The plants have to be able to grow faster than the crayfish can eat them. I have also found that the darker the leaf on the plant the less edible it seems for my marble crayfish. Its a matter of trial and error im afraid....although that could cost a lot of money and plants wasted by the time you figure out what works.

I was thinking about doing Mexican dwarf crayfish. From what I understand they do not eat plants. Do you have any personal experience with them. Since my brother and girlfriend are already doing central American biotopes I could steal any plants I need from them :lol: how hard is it for you to find lighting for a nano tank that is suitable for keeping plants. I am super excited to start working in this build! :-D. Do you know if MDC can be kept in male\female pairs because in all the videos I have seen they appear to be very social.

stevenjohn21 05-26-2012 09:05 AM

There are a few species of the mexican variety. Ive had little success with the bright orange variety Cambarellus Patzcuarensis for some reason. However the smaller variety and less colored variety called Cambarellus montezumae have exploded in my 40 gallon breeder tank. I have a constant supply of fish food for my cichlids whilst these things keep breeding. The marble crayfish which have no scientific name just yet are also an easy to care and breed for species.

Both the mexican species can be housed with plants as they will only eat the dead leaves so it saves you the time of getting the tweezers out and fishing around. Good luck and let me know how you get on. They are great animals to keep.

hotshotdevil32 05-26-2012 09:39 AM

By little success with the orange variety do you mean getting them to breed or little success keeping them alive. I am not paticullary looking to breed the crayfish. my brother is getting endlers livebearers and I should have so many fry from them I certainly won't have time for crayfish babies too! could marble crayfish be kept in a nano aquarium. are they easier to keep than CPOs? again my only concern is being inidated with fry. If I did get marble crays would you be willing to sell some to me?

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenjohn21 (Post 1095737)
There are a few species of the mexican variety. Ive had little success with the bright orange variety Cambarellus Patzcuarensis for some reason. However the smaller variety and less colored variety called Cambarellus montezumae have exploded in my 40 gallon breeder tank. I have a constant supply of fish food for my cichlids whilst these things keep breeding. The marble crayfish which have no scientific name just yet are also an easy to care and breed for species.

Both the mexican species can be housed with plants as they will only eat the dead leaves so it saves you the time of getting the tweezers out and fishing around. Good luck and let me know how you get on. They are great animals to keep.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2