Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Corner-Flo Tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/corner-flo-tank-10228/)

Banzai 12-23-2007 02:49 AM

Corner-Flo Tank

I'm new to the forums, and would like to start by saying hello to everyone and asking a question.

I was browsing a store earlier and came across a corner-flo tank that was on sale and wondered whether it might be a worthwhile investment for starting up a new aquarium. I have had several in the past all with mechanical filters hung on the backs of the tanks with success, but before now I had not come across any model such as this. I ran a search through the forums, but was unable to find any threads discussing this topic.

Here is a link to the best picture/desciption I could find: http://www.marineland.com/catalog/index.asp?prodid=2052

The tank on the bottom of the picture is what I am most interested in knowing more about. I just quickly looked at some of the features while shopping, so at this point I am unclear as to exactly what type of filtration it provides (biological, etc) and whether there may be any substrate complications since it draws water from both the top and bottom of the tank. The tanks I am looking at are 75 and 90 gals. As far as fish I am still in the planning stages but leaning toward cichlids.

If anyone has any info to offer or experience with this type of filter system I would be greatly appreciative. This site has been a great resource thus far in my planning, and I look forward to learning and sharing more as time goes on. :D

willow 12-23-2007 03:02 AM

hi and welcome aboard.
i am unable to advise on your question...sorry.
however there will i hope be other members along to help.
:)

Lupin 12-23-2007 05:04 AM

I've never seen a tank like that before. It's very interesting and if I see one, I would be tempted to buy one.

Welcome to Fishforum.com.:wave:

Age of Aquariums 12-23-2007 08:17 AM

If I'm reading that right you need a sump (Wet/Dry filter).

Age of Aquariums 12-23-2007 08:23 AM

It would be Mechanical/Biological, and it will not affect substrate. I don't know much about Cichlids though, these are normally used for a SW tank. As I said in the earlier post, you would need a sump to go along with it.

P.S. Welcome to the FishForum.

caferacermike 12-23-2007 02:17 PM

Also called "reef ready".

In no way whatsoever does this imply that this would only be for salt water tanks. You can definitely add a wet/dry sump for some filtration. The nice thing about a sump is that it provides tons of oxygenation and also is a great place to hide heaters. I know several freshwater people, including myself, that use them. A friend has a nice 220g Oceanic brick with dual overflows full of breeding cichlids, and I run a S. America pleco tank.

Are they worth the extra $100? Yes if you prefer a "tidy" display. On my friends 220 we took one of the overflows and redid it to fit his Fluval FX5 in such a manner that you cannot see any of the pickup and returns. He set it all up as a room divider and does not have any exposed plumbing on the back of the tank. Front and back are both free of obstructions.

Age of Aquariums 12-23-2007 02:21 PM

I never said they where SW only, I just said they where normally used in a SW tank.

caferacermike 12-23-2007 06:22 PM

And did I say you did? I don't think so. Just trying to get rid of the "implied" use of them being for salt water. Calm down AOA before you end up with a huge case of "foot in mouth" syndrome". You've done a nice job of setting yourself up for it.

Age of Aquariums 12-23-2007 06:36 PM

Sorry, I just thought you where about to me. :oops:

I didn't mean it to come across in a bad way, I just thought you meant me, and I was just making sure that you know I didn't say SW only.

Banzai 12-24-2007 10:34 PM

I was at the store today inspecting the tank a little more thoroughly. Turns out that it is designed for a sump filter and comes drilled with all the plumbing in a little kit. At this point it's a bit over my head, so I think I'm going to look into something smaller scale.

I came across an Eclipse hood setup with a decent 37g that I "think" may be alright for starting up my first saltwater tank, but I have seen mixed reviews about the eclipse hoods around the net. I don't want to end up sinking money into something that looks good on the surface but turns out to be worthless in the end (ie. not enough space for heaters, etc).

Anyways, this thread is going a little away from fresh water, but if anyone has any opinions or suggestions on what might be a decent size/brand setup for an initial forray into reefing I would be appreciative.

And a great big Merry X-mas to al of the readers out there. :D